Student Experience

Safety And Security

 Safety in the residence halls is everyone’s responsibility. 

There are a number of things the university does to promote safe environments. They include: 

  • Locking of residence hall doors 24 hours a day with the exception of designated times for move-in and move-out.
  • Residence Life staff on call in the evening during the academic year to respond to emergencies.
  • A University Police Department available 24/7 for emergencies and crisis response.

Students are also expected to assume responsibility for their safety. Specifically students are asked to do the following:  

  • Lock their room door even when they are in their room.
  • Be aware and cognizant of their surroundings.
  • Not allow other students or individuals to "tailgate" into the residence hall behind them.
  • Report any suspicious persons or behavior to the appropriate staff member or call University Police at (715)425-3133.
Card Access to Your Hall

How Does it Work?

Every ground level door of each residence hall has a black rectangular reader box next to the door. You need to pass your ID card in front of the reader to unlock the door and gain access to any residence hall door.


Between 3:00pm and 10:00pm daily on-campus residents can access any residence hall with their ID card.  Between 10:00pm - 3:00pm daily you can enter only the residence hall in which you live.  Please make arrangements to meet your guests in the lobby of your building.  Building staff cannot let your friends in for you and "tailgating" behind other residents is prohibited. 

I am Locked Out!

Using the phone located in the lobby of your building, please contact University Police by dialing (715)425-3133.  They will contact the hall staff on duty to arrange for you to get into your building.

My ID Card is Not Working

Please visit the Campus Carding Office in 160 Davee Library, 7:45am - 4:30pm, Monday through Friday.

ID Card Maintenance

Do not hole-punch your ID card to add it to a key chain!

ID cards that have been damaged in this or any other way will be confiscated by the Carding Office (160 Davee Library) and will have to be replaced at full cost by the cardholder.

Free ID pouches are available in the Carding Office.

University Police

The UWRF Police Department provides 24-hour-a-day security response for the university, assuring the safety of residents and the rest of the campus community.

Free on campus public telephones are located in the lobbies or public areas of all campus buildings. The University Police Department may be reached by dialing (715)425-3133 or visiting the office in South Hall Room 27.

Reporting an Incident

If you or someone you know have been a victim of a hate or bias incident, we encourage you to report it through the equity and affirmative action reporting system.

To report a crime or if you need assistance, members of the campus community, including residents of campus halls, should call the University Police Department at (715)425-3133 or the River Falls Police Department at (715)425-0909.

In case of an emergency, dial 9-911

Campus Crime Report

The annual campus crime report is published by the University Police and provided for your information.