Living in the Halls

Safety And Security


Safety in the residence halls is everyone’s responsibility. 

There are a number of things the university does to promote safe environments. They include:

  • University Police are available 24/7 for emergencies and crisis response.
  • Residence Life staff are on call in the evening during the academic year to respond to emergencies.
  • Locking of residence hall exterior doors 24/7 with the exception of designated times for move-in and move-out.

Students are also expected to assume responsibility for their safety. Students are asked to do the following:

  • Lock their room door even when in their room.
  • Be aware and cognizant of their surroundings.
  • Not allow others to “tailgate” into the residence hall behind them.
  • Report any suspicious persons or behavior to the appropriate staff member or call University Police at 715-425-3133.

When the Residence Life office is closed, students can reach a staff member by calling the RA Duty Phone. This phone number is posted on the main exterior door of each residence hall.

In the event of an emergency, students should call 911.


Each resident receives a room key in addition to their student ID card. Residents should never give their keys to other people.

Room keys give students access to their residence hall room and mailbox, located in the lobby of their residence hall.


If a resident is temporarily locked out of their room, the resident should look for a Resident Assistant in the hall who would be able to let them into their room. If there are no Resident Assistants available in the hall, the resident should contact their Hall Director. Custodial and maintenance staff cannot perform lockouts for students.

Lost keys

When a student loses their room key, they must go to the Residence Life office (B3 Hathorn Hall) to request a lock change and new key. When the lock is re-keyed, the locksmith will provide a new room key to residents who are present. Residents who are not present when the lock is changed can receive their new key from hall staff.

There is a fee associated to replace a lost of stolen key.

  • A traditional residence hall room key is $65.
  • An Ames Suites room key is $75.
  • A South Fork Suites suite door only is $75. The bedroom door only is $65. Both the suite and bedroom door is $115. 

How to access the residence halls

Every ground level door of each residence hall has a black rectangular reader box next to the door. You need to pass your student ID card in front of the reader to unlock the door and gain access to the residence hall. Student IDs should be carried at all times and never given to another student.

Available times

Between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. daily on-campus residents can access any residence hall with their student ID card.  Between 10 p.m. - 10 a.m. daily you can enter only the residence hall in which you live. Please make arrangements to meet your guests in the lobby of your building. Building staff cannot let your friends in for you and "tailgating" into the building behind others is prohibited. 

How to get help

If a resident were to be locked out, contact a staff member by calling the number posted in the main exterior door to each residence hall.

Problems with the ID card

If a student's ID is lost, stolen, or damaged, contact the Division of Technology Services or visit in 160 Davee Library as soon as possible to deactivate the card and get a new one.

ID card maintenance

  • Do not hole-punch your student ID card to add it to a key chain.
  • Student ID cards that have been damaged in this or any other way will be confiscated by the Carding Office in the DoTS Service Center (160 Davee Library) and will have to be replaced at full cost by the cardholder.

The UWRF Police Department provides 24-hour-a-day security response for the university, assuring the safety of residents and the rest of the campus community. The University Police Department may be reached at 715-425-3133 or visiting the office in the RDI building.

To report a crime or if you need assistance call the University Police Department or the River Falls Police Department at 715-425-0909.

In case of an emergency, dial 911.

Campus Crime Report

The annual campus crime report is published by the University Police and provided for your information.

If a student has a general complaint, has been a victim or witness to an incident that does not meet Residence Life community standards, they are encouraged to report the incident at If the student prefers not to report the incident themselves, they are encouraged to find an RA or HD who will help them with their conflict or concern.

Bias/Hate Incidents

If a student has been a victim or witness of a hate or bias incident, they are encouraged to report it through the office of Student Conduct and Community Standards reporting system at

Sexual Assault

If a student has been a victim or witness of a sexual assault, they are encouraged to report it through the office of Student Conduct and Community Standards reporting system at

To report a crime or if a student is in need of assistance, members of the campus community, including residents of campus halls, should call the University Police Department at 715-425-3133 or the River Falls Police Department at 715-425-0909.

In the event of an emergency, dial 911.


Emergency Preparedness


Sign Up for Emergency Alerts

All UW-River Falls students are encouraged to sign-up
to receive text message emergency alerts on their cell phone
during an emergency. Please see the website for details:


Emergency Response Guide

Each resident is responsible for knowing what to do in the event of an emergency. For further university emergency procedures, please see the Emergency Response Guide.


Emergency Alert System (EAS)

The Emergency Alert System is a federal program ( that allows public safety to easily alert the public through radio, television and other modes of alerting. The university subscribes and participates in this system.

The university has integrated video from this system into the campus television distribution system and the university digital signs. Audio is also distributed to those sources through the centralized fire alarm public address system. Student, staff and faculty e-mails are automatically subscribed to the emergency alert notification system.



UW System policy requires that everyone evacuates the residence hall at the sound of a fire alarm. Failure to do so can result in a citation and/or Residence Life conduct charges. Students and employees should know where the nearest exits are to their location and always vacate the building at the nearest exit immediately.

Individuals should only return to the building once the all clear has been given by University Police, the City of River Falls Fire Department or Residence Life staff. No one should use elevators during a fire alarm. Students and employees with disabilities should have a personal evacuation plan in place in the event of an emergency.

Fire Extinguishers

The location of fire extinguishers and facility areas of rescue/refuge are detailed on the “Tornado and Fire Procedures” signs posted on every floor of university buildings.

Smoke Detectors

In the event of a fire, the smoke detection systems will activate the alarm automatically. The alarm for a building-wide evacuation will be alarm tones followed by a voice message indicating that the fire alarm has been activated. All students and employees are required to evacuate the building when the alarm sounds. Building occupants should remain outside the building, at the assembly area, until the all clear has been given by University Police, the City of River Falls Fire Department or Residence Life staff.

Severe Weather


Water damage can occur from many sources: broken pipes, clogged drains, damaged skylights or windows, construction errors, or weather-related events.

If students become aware of a water leak, they should:

  • Contact University Police at 715-425-3133.
  • Be ready to evacuate as directed by University Police.
  • Follow the recommended primary or secondary evacuation routes.


Tornadoes can occur any time during the year with the right weather conditions. However, Wisconsin’s peak tornado season is May through August.

A tornado watch means that weather conditions are favorable for the formation of a tornado. A tornado warning is issued when a funnel cloud has been sighted in the surrounding area by a qualified spotter or has been detected on radar. Emergency warning sirens are activated in the city of River Falls when there is a tornado warning.

If a tornado warning is issued, students should immediately head to one of the designated tornado shelters in their residence hall. Tornado shelters are all marked in yellow signage throughout the residence halls. Tornado shelters vary from building to building. If a student is unable to get to a tornado shelter, they should take shelter under a sturdy piece of furniture and protect their head. Stay away from windows. Do not come out until the all clear has been given.

Pandemic Preparedness/Influenza/H1N1

The best way to prevent the spread of influenza or other communicable disease is to get vaccinated when possible and practice good hygiene habits. If a student is sick, they should not go to class or outside activities. Students are expected to inform their instructors via e-mail that they are unable to attend class due to illness. It is the student’s responsibility to make up any work that is missed from class due to illness. Students can contact Student Health Services with any questions or concerns regarding personal health and wellness.

Power Outage

If a power outage occurs, students should remain cognizant of their surroundings and limit their activity to avoid injury. As Residence Life staff members receive information on the duration of the power outage, they will do their best to inform residents. It is recommended that all students have a small flashlight to keep in their room in the event there is an extended power outage.

If the power outage is limited to one or two rooms, students should contact their Resident Assistant for assistance.

Contact Us

Department of Residence Life
M-F, 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
B3 East Hathorn Hall