Living in the Halls

Facilities and Services

As you make the transition to college, your residence hall is designed to provide you with everything you need to be successful in your "home away from home."

Bed Lofts

Each residence hall room is equipped with the components for a student to properly loft their bed. Students are required to set their bed back to its original position or as instructed upon checking out of the room.

Bicycle Storage, Maintenance and Registration

Bikes are welcomed on campus, however, they are not allowed to be stored inside the residence halls. Bike racks are located on each side of campus, adjacent to the residence halls.

A limited number of enclosed bike lockers are available for rent on a first-come, first-served basis near the residence halls. Fill out the Bike Locker Rental Agreement Form to reserve a bike locker. The cost is $60 per academic year and $25 for the summer.

University Police offers a free bicycle license program which records each bike’s information (make, model, serial number, color, and owner information). Bicycle Registration will assist in the recovery of lost or missing bicycles and help reduce the potential theft of bicycles. Contact the University Police with questions (715-425-3133).

Collaboration Stations

Collaboration stations are specially-designed work areas strategically placed in designated halls throughout campus where students may hold meetings to collaborate on projects using multimedia. Each collaboration station provides a table with power outlets and adapters which connect to a large flat screen television, allowing users to display the content of their multimedia device on a larger screen for others in the room to view. Collaboration stations are available in Ames Suites, Crabtree, Grimm, Hathorn, Johnson, Prucha, and Stratton halls.

Cooking Facilities

Kitchen and cooking facilities are available in each residence hall. These facilities usually include a stove top, oven, microwave and a full-size fridge.


Elevators are available in Ames Suites, Crabtree, Hathorn, Johnson and South Fork Suites. If an elevator is not working, inform Residence Life staff immediately.

Fire Pits

Residence Life has three fire pits available for student use. One is located between Jesse H. Ames Suites and Crabtree Hall, one is located by the Ann Lydecker Living Learning Center, and one is located on the west side of Johnson Hall. Contact the University Center Reservations office for more information and to reserve a fire pit.

Front Desk

The front desk in every hall is staffed each day from 4:30-10 p.m. In addition to being the central welcoming point to each hall, the front desk is also a place where students can check-out kitchen supplies, outdoor recreational equipment, pool table equipment, movies and games.


Each residence hall room is furnished with a loftable bed, dresser, study desk, closet rod, and a desk chair for each student living in the space. Room furnishings should not be removed from the room. A microwave/mini-fridge is available for roommates to share (excluding South Fork Suites). Students are not permitted to bring additional refrigerators/freezers or microwaves.


Residents are able to make adjustments to the level of heat in their rooms. If they believe the room is too hot/cold, they should contact their hall staff. Personal heating/air conditioning units are not permitted.

ID Cards and Residence Hall Access

Each student is provided with a UW-River Falls student ID card which is used to access the residence halls. On-campus residents visiting other residence halls can use their ID to gain access between 3 p.m. and 10 p.m. Students should carry their IDs while on campus and never lend them to other individuals. If a student’s ID gets lost, stolen, or damaged, they should contact the Division of Technology Services (715-425-3687) or visit them in 160 Davee Library as soon as possible to deactivate the card and get a new one.


All residence halls are Wi-Fi enabled. Information about how to connect to the campus internet is available from the Service Catalog on the Department of Technology Services (DoTS) website.

Isolation Meal Box

Isolation Meal Boxes are available to on-campus residents enrolled in a meal plan. They contain food and beverage items intended to provide the equivalent of three meals for an individual with flu-like symptoms. For each Isolation Meal Box Request Form submitted, Dining Services will provide one delivery per person, per day. Three meals will be deducted from the meal plan; one for breakfast, one for lunch, and one for dinner. On the weekends, two meals will be deducted, one for brunch and one for dinner. The Isolation Meal program is to be used to help residents recovering from an illness when they are unable to make it to dining service areas for their meals. Misuse of the program may result in the loss of privilege to use the program. For more information about the Isolation Meal Box plan and request form, visit the Dining Services webpage.


Laundry facilities are located in each hall in either the basement or individual communities, depending on the building. Laundry machines are free to residents. Each resident must provide their own detergent and dryer sheets. It is recommended that residents use detergent pods, as they work best in our high efficiency machines. With the Laundry View app residents can also determine when a machine is available and/or when their laundry is done. If a machine is not working, contact the phone number on the machine for repair. More information can be found at the Laundry View web page at

Light Bulbs

If a light bulb in a student’s room burns out, they should report it through the campus work order system, TMA and they will replace the light bulb as soon as they can.

Lost and Found

If a resident believes that they have lost any items, they can check with the front desk of their residence hall, the University Center Information Desk or University Police to see if the item has been turned in to the campus lost and found.


If a resident is temporarily locked out of their room (e.g. key is inside locked room), the resident should look for an RA who would be able to let them into their room (any RA in the building can assist the resident). If no RAs are available at the time, the resident should contact their Hall Director. Custodians and maintenance staff cannot allow a student back into their room.

Lost Keys

When a student loses their room key, they must go to the Residence Life office (B3 Hathorn Hall) to request a lock change and a new key. When the lock is re-keyed, the locksmith will provide a new room key to residents who are present. Residents who are not present when the lock is changed can receive their new key from their hall staff.

There is a fee associated to replace a lost or stolen key. A traditional Residence Hall room is $40. A South Fork Suites room is $75 for both the suite and room doors. The suite door only is $55 and the bedroom door only is $40.

Mail / Packages

Residents have secure mailboxes in their residence hall they can access with their room key. Mail service is delivered to front desks Monday through Saturday. When packages are delivered to the hall, students will receive an email at their UWRF email address informing them they have a package to pick up. Residents will need their UWRF ID to retrieve packages. Packages can be retrieved while the desk is open each day. Residents should inform friends and family to not send cash and to certify anything of value with the Post Office.

Mail that cannot be identified by or delivered to desk staff due to incomplete address will be forwarded to Residence Life for processing. If a package requires a signature at the time of delivery, it may be delivered to Residence Life. If the Residence Life office receives a package for a student, an email will be sent to the students UWRF email instructing them to pick the package up at the Residence Life office.

Residents must retrieve their own mail. The student’s name must be written clearly on any mail/package along with their correct hall and room number.

Mail Forwarding

For six months after a student moves out of their residence hall room, only first-class mail will be forwarded to the mailing address that the student has provided in eSIS. If this address is not correct or is not where they wish to have their mail sent, it is the student’s responsibility to change their mailing address(es) in eSIS here:

Prior to leaving the residence hall for the summer break, residents should update their mailing addresses in eSIS, with companies, family members and friends to ensure they get their mail.


Mattresses are provided as part of the furnishings and measure 80” X 36” and are 8” thick. Twin extra-long sheets are recommended.

Micro-fridge Units

Micro Fridge units are provided in most residence hall rooms. The Micro Fridge units have a refrigerator component and a microwave. Separating the unit is considered vandalism and a resident may be charged restitution for the repair of the unit.

Instead of Micro Fridge units the George R. Field South Fork Suites includes a kitchenette which has a full-size refrigerator and microwave.

It is advised that students defrost their refrigerator/freezer at least once during the academic year. When you prepare to check out of your room, you must remove all items. The last resident to leave must defrost, dry out, and wipe clean the inside of the fridge and freezer (this process takes a while so you will need to start prior to the day of your checkout). Do not use any object to remove the frost/ice as this will cause a puncture of the unit and you being held responsible for the cost. This includes dumping the water out from the tray located under the freezer. After defrosting and cleaning the fridge, leave it plugged in and set on level 3.

Multimedia Rooms

Residence halls (with the exception of Ames and South Fork Suites) have a Multimedia Room equipped with 52” LCD TVs, Sony Blu-Ray Players (which will play regular DVDs as well), easy input and output ports to hook up a Wii, Xbox or vintage gaming systems with surround sound. There is also furniture and fixtures to create the perfect setting to watch shows or play video games. Multimedia rooms are available for residents to use between the hours of 8 a.m. and midnight on weekdays and noon to midnight on weekends.


On-campus parking information, including information about parking lots near the residence halls, is available from the Parking Office.

Repair and Maintenance

Student assistance in reporting maintenance or custodial conditions in our residence halls is essential. If residents have concerns regarding maintenance or custodial conditions, they should report them through the campus work order system, TMA.


Room Design

Room layout and dimensions can be found on the Residence Life Room Design web page.

Technology Support

The Division of Technology Services (DoTS), located in 160 Davee Library, provides technology support to all students, faculty and staff at UW-River Falls.

For how to information on connecting to the wireless and television systems, as well as numerous other technology related topics, residents should visit the DoTS website.

Residents needing further assistance with cable, campus printing, connecting devices to the UWRF wireless network, guidance on installing Microsoft Office (which is free for students at UWRF) or other software or are experiencing technical issues should contact DoTS directly by email, 715-425-3687, or IM through the link on the DoTS website.


Internet Provided TV (IPTV)

IPTV is television provided over the internet, also known as "Stream 2," a service provided by Apogee.

Learn About IPTV Video

IPTV Frequently Asked Questions


Cable Television

The following TV channels are available in residence halls and academic buildings on main campus and south campus. They do not apply to the Kao International House. There are “sub-channels” available from the local providers. These channels frequently change. You should scan for new channels periodically to pick up these new offerings. See for an online interactive channel guide; search for zip code 54022 and choose the university cable system.

Cable Television Channel Guide

Cable TV Frequently Asked Questions


Trash / Recycling

Residents are responsible for removing the trash and recycling from their rooms on a regular basis to maintain the cleanliness of our buildings. Trash and recycling should be placed in the appropriate receptacles located outside each residence hall. Trash from residence hall rooms should not be left in the bathrooms.

Vending Machines

Vending machines are located within each residence hall. They accept cash and credit cards. Residents who experience any issue with the vending machines should contact the phone number located on the machine to address their concerns. Residents can also work through vending machine issues or refunds at the University Center’s Information Desk.

Contact Us

Department of Residence Life
Division of Student Affairs
M-F, 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
B3 East Hathorn Hall