Administrative Policies

2 Year Residency Policy

The Department of Residence Life administers the UW-System Board of Regent's policy (Regent Policy Document 24-2) requiring first year and sophomore students to live in university residence halls.

Visit the 2 Year Residency Policy web page for more information.

Abandoned Items

Property which is left by a resident at the end of their contract period or when the student leaves an assigned space will be boxed up by a minimum of two Residence Life staff members. The contents will be inventoried and stored in another location. A letter and a copy of the inventoried items will be sent to the student at the student's home address on file with the university, informing them that they have 15 days to claim their property. Items not retrieved within the time limit will be donated to a local charity or disposed of at that time. The University has no liability for the loss or damage to a resident's personal property if the property has been abandoned.

Accommodation for Students with Disabilities or Medical Needs

Students with documented disabilities or medical needs who require accommodations in their residence hall room must contact Ability Services. Assignments with accommodations cannot be processed without a recommendation/documentation from Ability Services. Requests for accommodations cannot be assured for students applying less than 60 days prior to the beginning of the semester for which on campus accommodations are needed. The Department of Residence Life will make every effort, however, to provide reasonable accommodations. Assignment is based on the accommodations required and the date the contract and contract payment are received.


When a student moves into the residence halls, they are required to fill out a Room Condition Report (RCR) so the Department of Residence Life knows what kind of condition the room is in when they student first walks in. It is extremely important that the RCR is filled out completely and in detail. Any questions about this process should be directed to the RA, ACD or HD.

A student is expected to:

  1. Print legibly so the RCR is readable.
  2. Fill out the top information including: Name, ID (W#), Hall and Room #, and Cell Phone Number.
    • Also please list any medical information they would like Residence Life staff to be aware of (this will be kept confidential).
  3. Select the side of the room they will be responsible for. The "right" or "left" is based on standing in the doorway, facing the window.
  4. Fill out the RCR for all items in the room based on the side of the room they circled.
  5. Verify that all of the following items are in the room. If any are missing, a student should contact the RA, ACD, or HD right away.
    • 1 bed/mattress per resident
    • 1 desk, chair, and bookshelf per resident
    • 1 closet/wardrobe per resident
    • 1 dresser per resident
    • 1 computer/cable box per resident
  6. Once the RCR is completed, the student should sign their name and date on the bottom of the check-in side of the RCR. RCRs are to be completed and turned in to the front desk on the same day they check in.

Students who do not fill out the RCR and return it to hall staff, will be held responsible for the condition of the room based on the check-out information from the previous year.


All students leaving on-campus housing are required to check out of their room with hall staff before leaving campus. Failure to properly check out will result in financial charges to the student's account, which may include an improper checkout fee and room re-key fee.

A Residence Life staff member will check to ensure that the student has cleaned their room and to catalog any damages. Staff members will not check the room until the student has finished cleaning the room and removed all of their belongings.

The following description should be used by students as a guide to follow prior to checking out of their room:

  1. Remove all personal belongings.
  2. Return all University property to its original order and location.
    • Unloft the bed (Except in Hathorn Center or Ames). Rubber mallets are available at the front desk to help in this process.
  3. Clean room - this includes the following:
    • Walls/Ceilings/Mirrors: Remove all posters, tape, stickers and adhesives and clean marks and adhesive residue off all surfaces.
    • Floor: Sweep, vacuum and/or mop the floor. Do not sweep anything into the hallway.
    • Door: Remove all stickers/tape from both sides of door and clean off all writing/marks and adhesive residue.
    • Windows/Screens: Close and lock windows, and remove all tape, stickers, and adhesives.
    • Furniture: Empty all drawers and wipe them out, remove all tape, stickers, and adhesives.
    • Micro-fridge: Remove all food. Wash all furniture surfaces - chairs, desks, dressers, window sills, etc. There should be no stains, black smudges, tape, or sticky spots left.
    • Wastebasket/Recycling Bins: Empty and clean.

When a student checks out of their room, the check-in and checkout sections of the Room Condition Report are compared to help assess damages that may have occurred in the room during the student's occupancy, beyond normal "wear and tear."

Improper Checkout

This includes, but is not limited to, the room not being ready, resident not checking out correctly, improper arrangement of furniture, loft not being taken down. The administrative fee associated with an improper checkout is $50.


Public Area Damage: Damage to any residence hall furniture, fixtures, or facilities or damage to property of students living in the residence hall is prohibited. If a student is responsible for damage in public areas of the residence hall, the cost of repair/replacement is charged to the student's eSIS account.

Resident Room Damage: If anything is damaged/broken at the time of checkout, the resident(s) may be charged to have it fixed/replaced. Staff will use the RCR completed by the resident at the beginning of the year to compare the condition of the room. Any and all damages that were not specified on the RCR when the resident moved in, other than normal wear and tear, will be recorded and charged to the student's eSIS account. If it is not known or cannot be resolved which roommate(s) is responsible for the damage, then the charges will be divided equally between the roommates.

Damage Billing: For during semester checkouts, damages will be charged to student's eSIS account immediately after checkout. For end of semester checkouts, those charges will be submitted within a few weeks.

2015-16 Repair/Replacement Cost of Items in Rooms

Item Traditional Halls Ames Suites South Fork Suites
Bike Locker $500 $500 $500
Bike Locker Key $40 $40 $40
Blinds $20 $20 $40
Bookcase NA $109 $75-$125
Bulletin Board $10 $10 NA
Ceiling $5-$10 $5-$10 $10-$20
Closet Door $10-$75 $10-$75 NA
Computer/TV data box $12.50-$50 $12.50-$50 $5 -$100
Desk $75-$200 $239 $10-$200
Desk Carrel (not center Hathorn) $150 $150 $150
Desk Chair $40-$100 $111
Dirty Room/Floor $12.50 $12.50
Door $60-$250 $125-$300 $120-$500
Door (damage to number) $12.50- $25 $12.50-$25 $5
Dresser $75 -$250 $221 $75-$200
File Cabinet NA NA $75
Guard Rail $30 $30 $30
Key for Room $40 $40 $40
Key for Suite NA NA $55
Key for Both Room and Suite NA NA $75
Light NA NA $15- $60
Light Fixtures Cover $7.50 $7.50 NA
Loft Bed $50-$200 $216 $50-$200
Loft Ends $150 $173 $150
Loft Shelf (Grimm & Stratton) $40 $43 NA
Loft Step (not Grimm, Stratton, Center Hathorn) $10 $10 $10
Mattress $122 $122 $122
Mirror $20 $20 NA
Peephole $2.50 $2.50 NA
Micro-fridge (Dirty or not $5-$10 $5-$10 NA
Micro-fridge (replace) $47.50- $135 $47.50-$135 NA
Recycling Container $5-$10 $5-$10 $5-$10
Room Furniture (movement) $10 $10 $10
Screen (repair) $12.50 $12.50 $25
Screen (replace) $50 $50 $100-$150
Screen (removal) $5 $5 $10
Smoke Alarm $10- $20 $10-$20
Sprinkler $25 -$2500 $25-$2500 $25-$2500
Thermostat $200 $200 $200
Tile Damage (ceiling) $5 $5 $2.50
Tile Damage (floor) $5 $5 $2.50
Towel Bar $10 $10 NA
Walls (cleaning) $5- 10 $5- 10 $10-$20

2015-16 Repair/Replacement Cost of Items in South Fork Suites


Ceiling$2.50 Shower Head$12.50
Counter Top$6.25-$62.50Shower Stall$6.25- $250
Door$30- $125Sink$6.25- $25
Door (damage to number)$1.25 Sink Faucets$6.25- $25
Handicapped Shower Head$25 Toilet$6.25- $62.50
Handicapped Shower Seat$37.50 Toilet Seat$6.25
Lights$6.25 Towel Bar$1.25
Plunger$2.50 Vanity$6.25- $125
Shelves$6.25- $37.50Vanity Drawer$6.25- $37.50
Shower Curtain$2.50 Walls$2.50- $5
Shower Curtain Rod$2.50 Wastebasket$2.50
Shower Handles$12.50


Counter Top$25 - $62.50Sink$6.25- $25
Cupboard Drawers$6.25- $37.50Sink Faucet$6.25- $25
Cupboard Shelves$6.25- $125Stools$12.50
Lights$6.25- $31.25Table Top$6.25- $62.50
Microwave$6.25- $37.50Wastebasket$2.50
Refrigerator$6.25- $125

Living Room

Blinds$10 End Tables$6.25 - $37.50
Broom$2.50 Entry Door$2.50- $25
Carpet$6.25- $250Lights$3.75
Ceiling$2.50- $5.00Screen (removal)$2.50
Closet Door$2.50-$12.50Screen (repair)$6.25
Computer/TV Data Box$1.25- $25Screen (replace)$25- $37.50
Couch$6.25- $125Vacuum$15

Knuckle (kitchen and lounge space
located at the corner of each wing)

Blinds$40 Micro-hood$25- $250
Bulletin Boards$20- $30Rugs and Runners$25- $150
Chairs$40- $100Sink$25- $100
Chairs (stuffed)$25 - $500Sink Faucet$25- $100
Couches$25 - $750Stereo Equipment$50- $100
Counter Tops$25 - $250Stove$25- $500
Door Signs$5 Tables$25- $250
End Tables$25- $150Wastebasket$10
Occupancy Status Forms

If one student moves out of a room during the academic year, the remaining resident will be asked if they would like to have a new roommate or pay extra to keep their room as a single (space permitting). An OSF will be given to the student and the student will have 2 days to return the OSF from the date the form is issued. If a student does not return their form by that time, they will be consolidated with another student in their hall.

New Roommate

Students who wish to have a new roommate and know someone that they would like to bring into their room should work with their ACD to arrange this move. If they do not have a specific person in mind, they will be consolidated with another student in their hall who wants a roommate. In this case, the student whose contract signed date is earliest will stay in their current space, and the other student will move.

Keep as Single

Students who choose to keep their room as a single will be billed at the appropriate single room rate for the number of days that they have occupied the room as a single.


Reminder: It is a conduct violation for a student to encourage a current roommate to move out or discourage a potential roommate from moving into their room. Any concerns a student has regarding a roommate, should be brought to the attention of Residence Life staff.

Reporting an Incident

If a student has been a victim or witness of a hate or bias incident, they are encouraged to report it through the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Office's reporting system. To report a crime or if a student is in need of assistance, hall residents should contact the University Police at 715-425-3133 or the River Falls Police at 715-425-0909. In the case of an emergency, dial 911.

Residence Hall Rates

Residence hall rates for each academic year are reviewed by UW-System Administration and approved during the month of July. Rates include housing during Thanksgiving recess and spring break. Students needing to stay on campus for J-Term or summer need to sign an additional contract and pay additional charges.

View the Residence Hall Rates web page for a list of rates.

Room Change Process

If a student would like to change rooms, they will need to contact their HD. If the student is approved for a room change, the HD will contact the ACD. The ACD will contact the student through their UW-River Falls email to initiate the process and go over all necessary steps.

Room changes cannot be made without proper authorization. An improper room change by a student may result in an administrative charge being applied to their student billing account and the student may be asked to return to their original room assignment.

No room changes, including roommate changes, will be made during the first four weeks of each semester.

Safety and Security

Safety in the residence halls is everyone’s responsibility.

There are a number of things the university does to promote safe environments. They include:

  • Locking of residence hall doors 24/7 with the exception of designated times for move in and move out.
  • Residence Life staff are on call in the evening during the academic year to respond to emergencies.
  • University Police are available 24/7 for emergencies and crisis response.

Students are expected to be responsible for their safety and are asked to do the following:

  • Lock their room door even when they are in their room.
  • Be aware and cognizant of their surroundings.
  • Not allow other students or individuals to "tailgate" into the residence hall behind them.
  • Report any suspicious persons or behavior to the appropriate staff member or call University Police at 715-425-3133.
Single Rooms

There are a limited number of single rooms available. Eligibility requirements and the rate varies depending on the type and location of the room.

Designed Singles 

  • Rooms designed for one person and have one set of furniture.
  • Available in Johnson Hall (first-year students only) and Jesse H. Ames Suites (non-first-year students only)


  • Rooms designed for two persons and have two sets of furniture, but only one person is assigned.
  • Rooms in Prucha Hall are limited to non-first year students only.
  • Rooms in traditional halls are assigned on a space-available basis only after the start of the semester room freeze has been lifted.


Students who were unable to get a single room during the room sign up process may request to be placed on the single room wait list as long as they meet the eligibility for a single room. To get on the wait list students must email from their UW-River Falls email account and include their Name, Student ID number, and the hall they are requesting a single in. The Department of Residence Life cannot guarantee that the request will be accommodated. For more information about single room rates and eligibility students should reference the Department of Residence Life website. 

Staff Member on Duty

In cases of emergency, students should call 911 (if using a campus phone 9-911).

During the hours in which the Department of Residence Life is closed, students can reach a staff member by calling the RA Duty Phone. This phone number is posted on all outside doors to the residence hall.

Temporary Disability Residence Hall Accommodations

A student faced with a temporary disability that may require a special housing accommodation should contact the Department of Residence Life. Residence Life will work to find the student a temporary location, depending on availability.

The temporary residence hall assignment is meant to be short-term (less than one semester in length). The Department of Residence Life will continue to “hold” the initial housing assignment for the student until they are able to return to that space.

University Police

The UW-River Falls Police Department provides 24/7 security response for the university.

Free on-campus public telephones are located in the lobbies or public areas of all campus buildings. The University Police Department may be reached by dialing 715-425-3133 or visiting the office in Room 103 of the Regional Development Institute (building #31 on the campus map).