Administrative Policies

2 Year Residency Policy

The Department of Residence Life administers the UW-System Board of Regent's policy (Regent Policy Document 24-2) requiring first year and second year students to live in university residence halls. This requirement does not apply to students who are 21 years of age or older or students who have graduated from high school two years prior to the start of the contract. Students who are veterans, married, or have extenuating financial circumstances can request exemption from this policy.

Visit the 2-Year Residency Policy web page for further details.


Abandoned Items

Property which is left by a resident at the end of their contract period or when the student leaves an assigned space will be boxed up by a minimum of two residence life staff members. The contents will be inventoried and stored in another location. A letter and a copy of the inventoried items will be sent to the student at the student's home address on file with the University, informing them that they have 15 days to claim their property. Items not retrieved within the time limit will be donated to a local charity or disposed of at that time. The University has no liability for the loss or damage to a resident's personal property if the property has been abandoned.

Accommodation for Students with Disabilities or Medical Needs

When a student moves into the residence halls, they are required to fill out a Room Condition Report (RCR) so the Department of Residence Life knows what kind of condition the room is in when the student first walks in. It is extremely important that the RCR is filled out completely and in detail.  Any questions about this process should be directed to the RA, ACD or HD.

Visit the Move In web page for step-by-step check in procedures.


All residents leaving the residence hall are required to check out of their room with hall staff before leaving campus. Failure to properly check out will result in financial charges to the student's account, which may include an improper checkout fee and room re-key fee.

Residents who have withdrawn from the University have 48 hours to checkout of their residence hall.

A Residence Life staff member will check to ensure that the student has cleaned their room and to document any damages. Staff members will not check the room until the student has finished cleaning the room and removed all of their belongings

Visit the Move Out web page for detailed check-out steps.


Public Area Damage: Damage to any residence hall furniture, fixtures, or facilities or damage to property of student living in the residence hall is prohibited. If a student is responsible for damage in public areas of the residence hall, the cost of repair/replacement is charged to the student's eSIS account.

Resident Room Damage: If anything is damaged/broken or missing at the time of checkout, the resident(s) may be charged to have it fixed/replaced. Staff will use the Room Condition Report completed by the resident at the beginning of the year to compare the condition of the room. Any and all damages that were not specified on the Room Condition Report when the resident moved in, other than normal wear and tear, will be recorded and charged to the student's eSIS account. If it is not known or cannot be resolved which roommate(s) is responsible for the damage, then the charges will be divided equally between the roommates.

Damage Billing: For checkouts occuring within the semester, damages will be charged to student's UWRF eSIS account immediately after checkout. For end of semester checkouts, those charges will be submitted within a few weeks.

2016-17 Repair/Replacement Cost of Items in Rooms

(Prices are approximate and are subject to change)
Item Traditional Hall Ames Suites South Fork Suites
Bike Locker $500 $500 $500
Bike Locker Key $40 $40 $40
Blinds $40 $40 $40
Bookcase NA $109 $75-$125
Bulletin Board $10 $10 NA
Ceiling $5-$10 $5-$10 $10-$20
Cleaning Fee $25 $25 $25
Closet Door $0 N/A NA
Computer/TV data box $12.50-$50 $12.50-$50 $5-$100
Desk $75-$200 $239 $10-$200
Desk carrel (not center Hathorn) $150 $150 $150
Desk Chair $40-$100 $111
Dirty Room/Floor $12.50 $12.50
Door $60-$250 $125-300 $120-$500
Door (damage to number) $12.50-$25 $12.50-$25 $5
Dresser $75-$250 $221 $75-$200
File cabinet $75 NA $75
Guard Rail $30 $30 $30
Key for Room $40 $40 $40
Key for Suite NA NA $55
Key for Both Room and Suite NA NA $75
Light NA NA $15-$60
Light Fixtures Cover $15-$30 $15-$30 $15-$30
Loft Bed $50-$200 $216 $50-$200
Loft Ends $150 $173 $150
Loft Shelf (Grimm & Stratton) $40 $43 NA
Loft Step (not Grimm, Stratton, Center Hathorn) $10 $10 $10
Mattress $122 $122 $122
Mirror $20 $20 NA
Peephole $2.50 $2.50 NA
Micro Fridge (dirty or not defrosted) $5-$10 $5-$10 NA
Micro Fridge (replace) $47.50-$13 $47.50-$135 NA
Recycling Container $5-$10 $5-$10 $5-$10
Room Furniture (movement) $10 $10 $10
Screen (repair) $12.50 $12.50 $25
Screen (replace) $50 $50 $100-$150
Screen (removal) $5 $5 $10
Smoke Alarm $10-$20 $10-$20
Sprinkler $25-$2500 $25-$2500 $25-$2500
Thermostat $200 $200 $200
Tile Damage (ceiling) $5 $5 $2.50
Tile Damage (floor) $5 $5 $2.50
Towel Bar $10 $10 NA
Walls (cleaning and/or painting) $20-$100 $20-$100 $20-$100
Wardrobe NA NA $350
Wastebasket $5-$10 $5-$10 $10
Window (replace) $50-$125 $50-$125 $30-$250
Trash removal $10 (min) $10 (min) $10 (min)

2015-16 Repair/Replacement Cost of Items in South Fork Suites


Ceiling$2.50 Shower Head$12.50
Counter Top$6.25-$62.50Shower Stall$6.25-$250
Door (damage to number)$1.25 Sink Faucets$6.25-$25
Handicapped Shower Head$25 Toilet$6.25-$62.50
Handicapped Shower Seat$37.50 Toilet Seat$6.25
Lights$6.25 Towel Bar$1.25
Plunger$2.50 Vanity$6.25-$125
Shelves$6.25-$37.50Vanity Drawer$6.25-$37.50
Shower Curtain$2.50 Walls$2.50-$5
Shower Curtain Rod$2.50 Wastebasket$2.50
Shower Handles$12.50


Counter Top$25-$62.50Sink$6.25-$25
Cupboard Drawers$6.25-$37.50Sink Faucet$6.25-$25
Cupboard Shelves$6.25-$125Stools$12.50
Lights$6.25-$31.25Table Top$6.25-$62.50

Living Room

Blinds$10 End Tables$6.25-$37.50
Broom$2.50 Entry Door$2.50-$25
Ceiling$2.50-$5.00Screen (removal)$2.50
Closet Door$2.50-$12.50Screen (repair)$6.25
Computer/TV Data Box$1.25-$25Screen  (replace)$25-$37.50

Knuckle (kitchen and lounge space located at the corner of each wing)

Blinds$40 Micro hood$25-$250
Bulletin Boards$20-$30Rugs and Runners$25-$150
Chairs (stuffed)$25-$500Sink Faucet$25-$100
Couches$25-$750Stereo Equipment$50-$100
Counter Tops$25-$250Stove$25-$500
Door Signs$5 Tables$25-$250
End Tables$25-$150Wastebasket$10
Occupancy Status Forms

If one student moves out of a room during the academic year, the remaining resident will be asked if they would like to have a new roommate or pay extra to keep their room as a single (space permitting).  An OSF will be given to the student and the student will have 2 days to return the OSF from the date the form is issued.  If a student does not return their form by that time, they may be consolidated with another student in their hall.

Residents who have not elected to keep the room a single must keep the other half of the room clear of belongings so it is ready for another student to move into. If the other half of the room is not clear, the resident may be charged for a single room rate.

New Roommate

Students who wish to have a new roommate and know someone who they would like to bring into their room should work with their ACD to arrange this move.  If they do not have a specific person in mind, they will be consolidated with another student in their hall who wants a roommate.  In this case, the student whose contract signed date is earliest will stay in their current space, and the other student will move.

Keep as Single

Students who choose to keep their room as a single will be billed at the appropriate single room rate for the number of days that they have occupied the room as a single.

Reminder: It is a conduct violation for a student to encourage a current roommate to move out or discourage a potential roommate from moving into their room.  Any concerns a student has regarding a roommate, should be brought to the attention of Residence Life staff.

Reporting an Incident

If a student has been a victim or witness an incident that does not meet Residence Life community standards they are encouraged to report the incident using links on the Conduct Procedures web page.

Bias/Hate Incidents

If a student has been a victim or witness of a hate or bias incident, they are encouraged to report it through the Bias Incident Reporting Form in the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards reporting system. 

Sexual Assault

If a student has been a victim or witness of a sexual assault, they are encouraged to report it through the Incident Mandated Reporting Form in the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards reporting system.

To report a crime or if a student is in need of assistance, members of the campus community, including residents of campus halls, should call the University Police Department at 715-425-3133 or the River Falls Police Department at 715-425-0909. In the event of an emergency, dial 911.

Residence Hall Rates

Residence hall rates for each academic year are reviewed by UW-System Administration and approved during the month of July. Rates include housing during Thanksgiving recess and spring break. Students needing to stay on campus for J-Term session or summer need to sign an additional contract and pay additional charges.

Visit the Residence Hall Rates web page for a list of rates.

Room Change Process

If a student would like to change rooms, they will need to contact their ACD. The ACD will contact the student through their UWRF email to initiate the process and go over all necessary steps.

Room changes cannot be made without proper authorization. An improper room change by a student may result in an administrative charge being applied to their student billing account and the student may be asked to return to their original room assignment.

No room changes, including roommate changes, will be made during the first three weeks of each semester.

Safety and Security

Safety in the residence halls is everyone's responsibility.

There are a number of things the University does to promote safe environments. They include:

  • Locking of residence hall doors 24/7 with the exception of designated times for move in and move out.
  • Residence Life staff are on call in the evening during the academic year to respond to emergencies.
  • University Police are available 24/7 for emergencies and crisis response.

Students are also expected to assume responsibility for their safety. Specifically students are asked to do the following:

  • Lock their room door even when they are in their room.
  • Be aware and cognizant of their surroundings.
  • Not allow other students or individuals to "tailgate" into the residence hall behind them.
  • Report any suspicious persons or behavior to the appropriate staff member or call University Police at 715-425-3133.
Single Rooms

There are a limited number of single rooms available.  Eligibility requirements and the rate varies depending on the type and location of the room.

Designed Singles:

  • Rooms designed for one person and have one set of furniture.
  • Available in Johnson Hall (first-year students only), Jesse H. Ames Suites (non-first-year students only) and George R. Field South Fork Suites (students aged 21 or older, or completed at least four Fall/Spring semesters of college, post high school).


  • Rooms designed for two persons and have two sets of furniture, but only one person is assigned.
  • Rooms in Prucha Hall are limited to non-first year students only.
  • Rooms in traditional halls are assigned on a space-available basis only after the start of the semester room freeze has been lifted.

After room sign-up, students may submit requests for specific room options through the "Room Preferences" steps in the online contract. There are additional costs for these options and students must meet the eligibility requirements listed. Once requests are submitted, students will be sent a confirmation email. Students will also be able to view their requests in the online contract in the "My Room Preferences" section.

Staff Member on Duty

In cases of emergency, students should call 911.

During the hours in which the Residence Life Office is closed, students can reach a staff member by calling the Duty Phone. This phone number is posted on all outside doors of the residence halls. You can also find the Duty Phone on the last page of this handbook.

Temporary Disability Residence Hall Accommodations

A student faced with a temporarily disability that may require a special housing accommodation should contact the Department of Residence Life. Residence Life will work to find the student a temporary location, depending on availability.

The temporary residence hall assignment is meant to be short-term (less than one semester in length). The Department of Residence Life will continue to "hold" the initial housing assignment for the student until they are able to return to that space.

University Police

The UWRF Police Department provides 24/7 security response for the University, assuring the safety of residents and the rest of the campus community.

Free on-campus public telephones are located in the lobbies or public areas of all campus buildings. The University Police Department may be reached by dialing 715-425-3133 or visiting the office in Room 103 of the Regional Development Institute (building #31 on the campus map).