Residence Hall Contract & Rates

Administrative Policies & Procedures

Residence Life administers the UW-System Board of Regent’s policy (Regent Policy Document 24-2) requiring first-year and second-year students to live in university residence halls. This requirement does not apply to students who are 21 years of age or older or students who have graduated from high school two years prior to the start of the contract. Students who are veterans, married, or have extenuating financial circumstances can request exemption from this policy.

Students who are seeking an exemption to the 2-year Residency Policy should visit the 2-Year Residency Policy web page for further details about the Exemption Request Form or the Commuter Request Form.


Property which is left by a resident at the end of their contract period or when the student leaves an assigned space will be boxed up by a minimum of two residence life staff members. The contents will be inventoried and stored in another location. A Residence Life staff member will reach out to the student, informing them that they have 15 days to claim their property. Items not retrieved within the time limit will be donated to a local charity or disposed of at that time. The university has no liability for the loss or damage to a resident’s personal property if the property has been abandoned.

Residence Life is committed to providing equal educational opportunity by supporting the full participation of all students in our campus community. We promote the ideals of diversity and inclusion by accommodating the various needs of students who stay on campus.

Students who need special accommodations should start the process by contacting the Disability Resource Center regarding their request at The Disability Resource Center will assist the student through the process.

Residence Life provides reasonable accommodations for students living in the residence halls with documented disabilities. Applications are reviewed by the Residence Life Accommodations Committee. When a request is processed, the student will be notified by Residence Life.


When a student moves into the residence halls, they are required to fill out a Room Condition Report (RCR) to note the condition of the room when the student first walks in. It is important the RCR is filled out completely and in detail, as this is what is used to assess damages at check out. Any questions about this process should be directed to the RA or HD.

A student is expected to:

  1. Print legibly so the RCR is readable.
  2. Fill out the top information including: name, ID (W#), hall and room #, and cell phone number.
  3. Fill out the RCR, in detail, for all items in the room. If you find a problem or damage, describe the location, size, color and shape of the damaged item/area. Fill in the key code on your room key.
  4. Verify that all of the following items are in the room. If any are missing, a student should contact the RA or HD right away.
    • One bed/mattress per resident
    • One desk, chair, and bookshelf per resident
    • One closet/wardrobe per resident
    • One dresser per resident
    • One micro fridge
    • One trash can
    • One recycling bin
  5. Once the RCR is completed, the student should sign their name and date on the bottom of the check-in side of the RCR. RCRs are to be completed and turned into the mailbox in the lobby of the residence hall on the same day they check in.

Students who do not fill out the RCR and turn in to the mailbox in the hall lobby, will be held responsible for the condition of the room based on the check-out information from the previous year


Visit the Move In web page for step-by-step check in procedures.

All residents leaving the residence hall are required to check out of their room with hall staff before leaving campus. The student needs to schedule an appointment with hall staff at least 24 hours, or one business day, in advance. Room key must be turned in at the time of check-out. Failure to properly check out or return your room key will result in financial charges to the student’s account, which may include an improper checkout fee and room re-key fee.

Residents who have withdrawn from the university have 48 hours to check out of their residence hall.

A Residence Life staff member will check to ensure that the student has cleaned their room and will document any damages. Staff members will not check the room until the student has finished cleaning the room and removed all their belongings.

Visit the Move Out webpage for detailed check-out steps.

To request a repair in your hall or on-campus room, visit the Hall Work Order web page.

Public Area Damage: Damage to any residence hall furniture, fixtures, or facilities or damage to property of students living in the residence hall is prohibited. If a student is responsible for damage in public areas of the residence hall, the cost of repair/replacement is charged to the student’s eSIS account.

Resident Room Damage: If anything is damaged, broken or missing at the time of checkout, the resident(s) may be charged to have it fixed/replaced. Staff will use the Room Condition Report completed by the resident at the beginning of the year to compare the condition of the room. Any and all damages that were not specified on the Room Condition Report when the resident moved in, other than normal wear and tear, will be recorded and charged to the student’s eSIS account. If it is not known or cannot be resolved which roommate(s) is responsible for the damage, then the charges will be divided equally between the roommates.

Damage Billing: For checkouts occurring within the semester, damages will be charged to student’s eSIS account immediately after checkout. For end of semester checkouts, those charges will be submitted within a few weeks. Repair/Replacement Cost of Items in Room (see next page) are approximate prices and are subject to change.


Item Traditional Halls Ames Suites South Fork Suites
Bike Locker $500 $500 $500
Bike Locker Key $40 $40 $40
Blinds $40 $40 $40
Bookcase NA $109 $75-$125
Bulletin Board $10 $10 NA
Ceiling $5-$10 $5-$10 $10-$20
Cleaning Fee $25 $25 $25
Computer/TV data box 12.50-$50 $12.50-$50 $5-$100
Desk $75-$200 $239 $10-$200
Desk Carrel (not center Hathorn) $150 $150 $150
Desk Chair $40-$100 $111 NA
Dirty Room/Floor $12.50 $12.50 NA
Door $60-$250 $125-300 $120-$500
Door (damage to number) $12.50-$25 $12.50-$25 $5
Dresser $75-$250 $221 $75-$200
Guard Rail $30 $30 $30
Key for Room $65 $75 $65
Key for Suite NA NA $75
Key for Both Room and Suite NA NA $115
Light NA NA $15-$60
Light Fixtures Cover $15-$30 $15-$30 $15-$30
Loft Bed $50-$200 $216 $50-$200
Loft Ends $150 $173 $150
Loft Shelf (Grimm & Stratton) $40 $43 NA
Loft Step (not Grimm, Stratton, Center Hathorn)  $10 $10 $10
Mattress $122 $122 $122
Mirror $20 $20 NA
Peephole $2.50 $2.50 NA
Micro Fridge (dirty or not defrosted) $5-$10 $5-$10 NA
Micro Fridge (replace) $47.50-$135 $47.50-$135 NA
Recycling Container $5-$10 $5-$10 $5-$10
Room Furniture (movement) $10 $10 $10
Screen (repair) $12.50 $12.50 $25
Screen (replace) $50 $50 $100-$150
Screen (removal) $5 $5 $10
Smoke Alarm $10-$20 $10-$20 NA
Sprinkler $25-$2500 $25-$2500 $25-$2500
Thermostat $200 $200 $200
Tile Damage (ceiling) $5 $5 $2.50
Tile Damage (floor) $5 $5 $2.50
Towel Bar $10 $10 NA
Walls (cleaning and/or painting) $20-$100 $20-$100 $20-$100
Wardrobe NA NA $350
Wastebasket $5-$10 $5-$10 $10
Window (replace) $50-$125 $50-$125 $30-$250
Trash removal $10 (min) $10 (min) $10 (min)


Gender Inclusive Community

The Gender Inclusive Community is a housing option in which two students share a room regardless of students' sex, gender identity or gender expression. This means that students can live in the same room with a person of a different assigned sex at birth.

Interested students must indicate in the housing application in the Residence Hall Portal that they are interested in the Gender Inclusive Community. By selecting "yes" (you are interested), you will be able to request a roommate of any gender.

This option is available to incoming and current students in the residence halls. This community is in Johnson hall. Students will not be assigned to Gender Inclusive Community unless they have elected to do so.

Community Expectations

As a student selecting to live in the Gender Inclusive Community, I recognize and understand this community has been designed to provide students with the flexibility to accommodate the needs of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ+) students, allies, and others for whom cultural or identity considerations are needed. Students can choose to room with the person they are most comfortable living with, regardless of gender or sex. An inclusive community is one committed to social justice and based on respect for and celebration of people of diverse identities and backgrounds.

I understand that by signing this Living Community Agreement, I must adhere to the following community living standards:

  • I commit to maintaining an inclusive and welcoming living environment that is free of discrimination based on gender identity and expression.
  • I will respect all residents of the floor and their guests. I will strive to understand inclusion, diversity, and difference, including different forms of gender identities, sexual and romantic orientations , and does not require disclosure.
  • I understand that living on this floor does not indicate a specific gender identity or sexual orientation.
  • Be willing to learn about others’ experiences and preferences regarding their level of disclosure of personal information, and I will respect their need for privacy.
  • I will be aware of, and responsible, for my own language. I will strive to use inclusive language and be open to learning new terms.

As it relates to room changes and/or filling a vacant space in a room, I understand the following:

  • Students will not be assigned to the Gender Inclusive Community unless they have elected to do so.
  • If a roommate leaves the room and community, Residence Life reserves the right to consolidate and/or fill the space with another student wishing to live on the Gender Inclusive Community.
  • Failure to adhere to the community living standards and/or exhibiting behavior that is contrary to the spirit of this agreement may result in a reassignment to a residence hall room outside of the Gender Inclusive Community. The residence hall contract will remain in effect in cases where students are removed from the Gender Inclusive Community.


Substance-Free Housing

Residents living in our Healthy Living community have agreed to observe a standard that prohibits the use and possession of alcohol and illegal drugs as defined by Wisconsin law and university policy. In addition, residents have agreed and have made a commitment that the use of any of these substances outside the community that influences the environment in the community (e.g. consuming alcohol off-campus and disturbing others while intoxicated is prohibited). Residents who fail to live up to these standards may be move and restricted from the community. 

If one student moves out of a room during the academic year, the remaining resident may be assigned a new roommate or may be given the option to pay extra to keep their room as a single (space permitting). An OSF will be given to the resident and the resident will have two days to return the OSF from the date the form is issued. If a resident does not return their form by that time, they may be consolidated with another resident in their hall.

Residents who have not elected to keep the room a single must keep the other half of the room clear of belongings so it is ready for another student to move into. If the other half of the room is not clear, the resident may be charged for a single room rate.

Rates include housing during Thanksgiving Recess and Spring Break. Students needing to stay on campus for J-Term or summer need to sign an additional contract and pay additional charges.

View a list of rates on the Residence Hall Rates web page

A student faced with a temporary disability that may require a special housing accommodation should contact Residence Life. Residence Life will work to find the student a temporary location, depending on availability.

The temporary residence hall assignment is meant to be short-term (less than one semester in length). Residence Life will continue to “hold” the initial housing assignment for the student until they are able to return to that space.

Contact Us

Department of Residence Life
M-F, 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
B3 East Hathorn Hall