Placement Testing

Do I need to take the placement tests?

Are you an incoming transfer student or new student wondering if you need to take the UW Placement Tests? You've come to the right place! Typically all new students are required to complete the UW Placement Tests for Math and English, but it's possible that your hard work thus far may have earned you an exemption for a certain subject. Read below to find out more on our placement testing exemptions and the benefits to completing a World Language placement test.


You do not need to take the UW Math Placement Test if you meet at least one of the following conditions:

1. You have transfer credit in one of the following courses:

  • MATH 010 Introduction to Algebra
  • MATH 030 Intermediate Algebra
  • MATH 126 Activities in Math
  • MATH 146 College Algebra
  • MATH 147 College Algebra and Trigonometry
  • MATH 149 Precalculus
  • MATH 156 Calculus for Business & Social Science
  • MATH 166 Calculus I

2. You scored a 3, 4, or 5 on the Advanced Placement (AP) test for Calculus AB or Calculus BC.

3. You scored a 4, 5, 6, or 7 on the International Baccalaureate (IB) test for Mathematics - HL or Further Mathematics - HL.

4. You scored a 64 or higher on the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) test for College Algebra.

*Courses will transfer as their equivalent course name. For example, if you completed College Algebra at another accredited institution, it will transfer to UW-River Falls as MATH 146 College Algebra.

*Students with transfer credit or Advanced Placement (AP) test scores for Statistics should still complete the Math Placement Test. 


You do not need to take the UW English Placement Test if you meet at least one of the following conditions:

1. You have transfer credit in one of the following courses:

  • ENGL 020 Foundations of English
  • ENGL 100 Academic Reading and Writing
  • ENGL 101 Freshman English for International Students
  • ENGL 200 Investigating Ideas: Reading, Writing, and the Disciplines

*Courses named College Writing, College Reading and Writing, Critical Reading and Writing, Academic Writing, English Composition, Composition I, Composition II, English Rhetoric, or similar will transfer as one of the above equivalents and will exempt you from taking the English placement test if they have been completed at an accredited college or university.

2. You scored a 3, 4, or 5 on the Advanced Placement (AP) test for English Language & Composition.

Modern Language

A world language placement test is not required unless:

  • your major or minor requires it, or
  • if you intend to take language courses while at UW-River Falls.

If you’ve taken more than one year of world language classes in high school, we do encourage you to take a world language placement test. Your score on the test may give you the opportunity to earn some retro-credits at UWRF.

Students with AP scores or ECCP/PSED credits in a world language are also strongly encouraged to take the placement exam for the language.

Students may complete Spanish, French, or German placement tests at the time they take the tests in Math and English. Japanese and Chinese placement tests may only be arranged directly through the Modern Language Department at UWRF. An Ojibwe placement test is not currently available. Qualifying students may earn up to 14 FREE credits with a grade of “A” through our retro-credits program.

For more information on the modern language placement test, on the retro-credits program, or in general, please contact the Modern Languages Department directly. Call (715) 425-3121 or email


Contact the Admissions Office! Give us a call at 715-425-3500 or send us an email at