UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN River Falls
The University of Wisconsin-River Falls is committed to protecting the rights and welfare of persons involved as subjects in research. In accord with federal regulations we have established an Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects (IRB) and a set of policies and procedures to protect research subjects. The IRB and its policies and procedures are based on, and are consistent with, The Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research, The National Commission for the Protection Of Human Subjects of Biomedical and Behavioral Research, April 18, 1979; and the Code of Federal Regulations, 45 CFR 46 (March 8, 1983) and the Federal Policy for the Protection of Human Subjects: Notices and Rules (June 18, 1991).
Research involving human subjects cannot be initiated by UWRF faculty, staff, or students before it is reviewed and approved in writing by the IRB.
Research protocols for any projects involving human subjects must be reviewed and approved by the IRB to assure that the rights and welfare of human subjects are protected and that appropriate methods of obtaining informed consent will be utilized. If it is unclear whether or not a project needs IRB approval, please contact any member of the IRB.
1. Review the UWRF manual, Policies and Procedures for Research Involving Human Subjects. Samples of the required informed consent form will be found here. Researchers who are using the Internet as the vehicle for collecting data should review Psychological Research Online: Opportunities and Challenges, an APA publication.
2. Complete the IRB Human Subjects Research Review Protocol
3. Fill out the IRB Human Subjects Course Certification Protocol if students will be performing research projects as part of a course.
4. Email a pdf of the protocol to Dr. Diane Bennett, Director of Grants and Research (email@example.com). Make sure to include the signed cover page, the informed consent form, any surveys or instruments to be used, and any letters of commitment from external research sites.
4. If you have questions, call the Grants and Research office at (715) 425-3195 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Ogden Rogers, Social Work
* Delbert Permann, retired minister, River Falls
* Don Stovall, Counseling & School Psychology
* Rich Wallace, Sociology
* Scott Woitaszewski, Counseling & School Psychology
* Todd Wilkinson, Chair of IRB, Psychology
* Claire Kilian, Management and Marketing
* Diane Bennett, Director of Grants & Research (ex-officio, non-voting)