Apply for Aid

Study Abroad

To apply for the Wisconsin Resident Education Abroad Grant, please complete the Application Grant Form.

In order to be eligible for the grant you must meet the following criteria:

  • Resident of Wisconsin
  • Degree seeking student
  • Demonstrate financial need based on your current year FAFSA
  • Enrolling in a Study Abroad program for Academic Credit

The next step for applying for financial aid for an international study trip is completing the Additional Expense Form for Study Abroad. The amount of financial aid you are eligible to receive cannot exceed the study abroad program’s standard costs. Increased financial aid eligibility for study abroad programs is usually limited to student or parent loans. A state Study Abroad Grant is available for Wisconsin resident students who have financial need, and while funding is limited, Global Connections makes every attempt to award every student that is eligible. Submitting the Additional Expense Form does not mean that you will receive additional financial aid for studying abroad.

As with any regular semester, you must be enrolled at least half-time (which is six credits for undergraduates and four credits for graduates) to be eligible to receive most financial aid. J-Term credits are combined with fall credits to determine enrollment for financial aid purposes.

Note: Federal Regulations prohibit releasing any financial aid funds before the semester for which you have been awarded. So if you need to pay a trip deposit early, for example, you must plan ahead. UW-River Falls financial aid counselors are here to assist you as you arrange funding for going abroad. Please make an individual appointment with a financial aid counselor as soon as you begin planning for studying abroad.

If you are attending another college for your International Study trip, you may encounter additional hurdles in the financial aid process. Financial aid is only available to "degree-seeking" students, so if you are only visiting another college for the purpose of an international study, that college cannot offer you aid. You can only get financial aid from the college at which you intend to complete your degree, called the "home institution."  UW-River Falls, as the home institution, may be able to offer financial aid for your study abroad through another college with a Financial Aid Consortium Agreement. (You need to open and print the agreement from this link, complete the student section and have the Host Institution complete their section, and bring the completed form to the Financial Aid office.) Note: because a number of parties must sign off on this agreement, you need to start this process well in advance of the semester you plan to study abroad.

International Study Scholarships Available through UW-River Falls

Based on your major, you may be eligible to apply for an International Studies scholarship through your College.  To apply for an International Studies Scholarship, you will need to complete the UWRF Scholarship Application.  Once you have submitted your online General Application, you will be able to search under the "Opportunities" dropdown for "Study Abroad".  Find your appropriate College and Term you will be completing your International Study, and select Apply.  You must answer all of the Supplemental Questions in order to be considered for the scholarship(s).

The College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) Stipend for International Study Abroad is available to students with at least one full semester with a declared major in the College of Arts & Sciences (or Secondary Education majors) who have completed 45 credits by the time of application, and have a minimum GPA 2.75. The award may be up to $500. An essay and letter of support are required with the application.

The College of Business & Economics (CBE) International Studies Scholarship is awarded to students in the College of Business and Economics at the discretion of the college.  Students must have a College of Business and Economics major and be continuing students in good academic standing (overall GPA above or equal to 2.0 and CBE major GPA above or equal to 2.25) to be eligible to receive this scholarship. 
The College of Education & Professional Studies (CEPS) International Scholarship is awarded to students in the College of Education and Professional Studies at the discretion of the college who will be participating in an International Studies Program

Award Process

International Study scholarship recipients will be selected by the Colleges.  The College will notify the Financial Aid Office of the awards.  The scholarships will be applied to the student's UWRF account in the term which the study abroad experience occurs.  Therefore, if you need to pay a trip deposit early, you must plan ahead.

As stated above, UW-River Falls financial aid counselors are here to assist you as you arrange funding for going abroad. Please make an individual appointment with a financial aid counselor as soon as you begin planning for studying abroad.

Outside Study Abroad Scholarships