Upward Bound is a free college preparatory program that generates in our participants the skills and motivation necessary to complete a program of secondary education and to succeed in a program of post-secondary education. We prepare high school students for college through tutoring and academic skill building, social and cultural activities, college and career awareness, and personal and academic counseling which are interspersed throughout the academic and summer program.
Our service area is Washington Technology Magnet High School, in St. Paul, MN. Potential participants are high school students who are first-generation and/or low income.
- First-Generation: Neither parent / step-parent / guardian, with whom the student lives with has completed a 4-year college degree (Bachelor's degree)
- Low income: The annual income for the family size does not exceed the federal guidelines.
Academic Year (September-May)
- Monthly Meetings/Workshops
- Service Learning/Volunteerism
- ACT Preparation
- College Visits/Cultural and Academic Field Trips
- Grade Level Service: Cohort Building, Junior Retreat, Senior Series
Summer Program (June-July 6 weeks)
- Arts and Humanities
- Career Exploration/Commuter Experience
- STEM (IceCube)
- Summer Trip
- Apply early as 9th grade student (September-October)
- Commit to attending all program meetings and events
- Make college education a priority in their life and future goals
- Participate in community services/internships
- Help create a positive college-going atmosphere
- Contribute to the development of their cohort