UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN River Falls
edTPA is a preservice assessment process designed by educators to answer the essential question: "Is a new teacher ready for the job?" edTPA includes a review of a teacher candidate's authentic teaching materials as the culmination of a teaching and learning process that documents and demonstrates each candidate's ability to effectively teach his/her subject matter to all students.
Each task requires the creation and submission of authentic artifacts (i.e., lesson plans, instructional materials, video recording of teaching, student assessments with teacher candidate feedback).
Each task requires a detailed, thorough examination of the teacher candidate's own teaching effectiveness through written Commentaries.
General requirements of the edTPA
- Plan a learning sequence of 3-5 consecutive lessons (or 3-5 hours if teaching in a block)
- Creation of instructional materials
- Copies of student assignments and assessments
- Feedback on student work, for selected students
- Unedited video recording instruction
- Provide assistance by helping teacher candidate identify class for edTPA
- Provide assistance in helping teacher candidate identify focus student(s)
- Provide assistance to teacher candidate in distributing, collecting, and record keeping of the video permission forms
- Provide assistance in securing video equipment, if necessary
- Provide assistance in video recording
Continue to provide feedback and formative reflection opportunities for teacher candidates discuss their teaching effectiveness
The edTPA shares a number of key constructs with the Educator Effectiveness models that are being implemented in Wisconsin. As with the Educator Effectiveness model, the edTPA asks pre-service teachers to reflect on their planning, instruction, and assessment of their students, with a focus on student learning outcomes.
Additional information on the edTPA can be found at www.aacte.org