College of Business and Economics

Prospective Students

Frequently Asked Questions:

What majors are available in the College of Business and Economics (CBE)?

CBE offers majors in Accounting, Business Administration, Computer Science & Information Systems, Data Science and Economics. In addition, students may pursue a Business Administration degree with an option in Finance, Management, Marketing or Marketing-Sales. We also have a Master of Business Administration (MBA) program, Master of Science in Computer Science program and an Adult Degree Completion program to complete a bachelor's degree in business.

What is the Adult Degree Completion Program?

The Adult Degree Completion Program is designed to assist adult students in completing their degree in Business Administration by utilizing evening, online and other modes of delivery and options for completion of courses and requirements. We provide you with individual personalized assistance along with strategic program planning that focuses on completing your degree in the time frame that fits your busy life.

I see that CBE is accredited by AACSB. What does this mean for me?

Fewer than 5% of the world's business schools meet the rigorous standards of AACSB International (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) accreditation, which includes managing resources to achieve a vibrant and relevant mission, high-caliber teaching of quality and current curricula, faculty scholarship, and meaningful interaction between students and faculty. Since employers look for candidates from AACSB-accredited schools, graduating from CBE will give you an advantage over applicants from other schools.

What will my classes be like?

Your CBE classes will be taught by professors, associate professors, assistant professors and adjunct professors... no teaching assistants like at many other universities. Most classes are small, with plenty of opportunities for interaction between students and instructors.

Are CBE professors involved in my education outside of the classroom?

Our CBE faculty have offices in South Hall and are available to meet with all students. In addition, upper division CBE students are assigned faculty advisors in their majors who aid students in planning their courses of study. A professional advisor in the college assists freshmen and sophomore students. Check out our Faculty and Staff page for specific information about our faculty.

Does the College of Business and Economics offer internships?

Internships are strongly encouraged before graduation from UWRF as a way to give you valuable experience in the business world beyond the classroom experience. After you complete 60 credits (Junior standing) and certain required courses, you are eligible to apply for an internship. Our proximity to the Twin Cities gives our students many opportunities. Please look for additional information on our Internship page.

If I declare a major in one of the business programs, am I automatically eligible to take any course offered in the College of Business and Economics?

In order to take most "upper level" courses (300 and above), you must be formally admitted to CBE. Each major has certain prerequisite courses that must be completed with a minimum GPA of 2.50. In addition, you must complete 27 required General Education credits with a minimum 2.25 GPA. But since we do not have a limit on the number of students admitted to CBE each year, if you meet the criteria at the time you formally apply (usually during your sophomore or junior year), you are in.

How much is my schooling going to cost?

UW-River Falls has the reputation of being an affordable university while still maintaining a high quality education. Estimated tuition and fees can be found on the Student Billing page.

Will I be required to purchase textbooks for all my courses?

As an undergrad, your textbook rental fee is paid as part of your tuition so you do not have the additional cost of purchasing books (except for some online courses) or the hassle of trying to sell back the books you no longer need at the end of the semester. However, you will have the option of purchasing any book that you might want to keep in your professional or personal library. Textbook Services has additional information.

Are there scholarships or other types of financial aid available to me?

UWRF and the College of Business and Economics offer scholarships, grants, loans and student employment to help offset the cost of schooling. Information about these types of financial aid is available on the Financial Assistance website.

Can I come for a visit?

We encourage you to come and visit our beautiful campus, located in the scenic St. Croix River Valley, about 30 minutes east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. Arrangements for campus visits can be made through our Admissions Office. College Visit Days are scheduled throughout the year and offer you the opportunity to tour the campus, including historic South Hall where the CBE offices are located, and have your questions answered by faculty, staff and current students.

What kind of living facilities are available on campus?

There are 11 Residence Halls on the UWRF campus. Freshmen and sophomore students who do not meet exemption requirements are required to live in University residence halls. In addition, a number of our upper level students also reside in campus housing. Residence hall information is found on the Housing website.

What type of extracurricular activities are offered?

UWRF has many clubs that are of interest to CBE students: Accounting Society, Association for Computing Machinery, Business Association, Finance Club, Society for Human Resource Management, Student Economic Society and a collegiate chapter of DECA (starting soon). Click to view CBE student organizations or all UWRF student organizations. UWRF offers athletics, intramural sports, fraternities & sororities, campus programs, student senate and other activities. The Student Life page is a great source for this information.

Are there any opportunities for studying overseas?

Yes, and we strongly encourage you to participate in one or more of the international programs available! We have offered short-term Education Abroad programs in Southeast Asia (Thailand, Vietnam), Uganda, Taiwan, Turkey and semester-long programs in Scotland, Europe, China and more. There are many options available to fit your academic and career goals. See Global Connections for more information.

I took honors courses in high school. Does UWRF have any type of similar programming for me?

Definitely. The UWRF Honors Program provides experiences for those students with an outstanding record of academic achievement. In addition, CBE has a collegiate chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma, the International Honor Society that encourages and honors academic achievement in the study of business.

If I am transferring from a community college, technical college or other Wisconsin or Minnesota college or university, will my credits transfer?

We work with you to transfer as many credits as possible. There are Transfer Guides specifically detailing credit transferability from many colleges and universities, including technical colleges, that will help you determine which courses will satisfy UWRF requirements. For information regarding transferring to UWRF, please visit the Admissions Office Transfer Students website or check with your college's transfer office.

I'm a little nervous about the whole college experience. Are there resources available for me?

We know that starting college can be a little unsettling. Our New Student and Family Programs help new students become well-oriented members of the campus community. There are numerous services and programs available for new and transfer students and their families that will help you make a successful transition to campus life.

And you can always contact the College of Business and Economics at 715-425-3335 or

Thank you for your interest in pursuing a degree in the College of Business and Economics at UWRF.

We hope that many of your questions will be answered on this page. But please contact us at or 715-425-3335 for additional information.

South Hall View