Applying for Admission

Application Procedure for Exchange (J-1) Students


All international exchange students interested in attending the University of Wisconsin-River Falls are required to obtain approval from their home institution regarding the exchange. After gaining consent from their institution, the following documents should be submitted to International Student Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls:

1. Submit the UW System application for admission. In the applicant statement section, please indicate that you are applying as an exchange student.

2. Applicants whose native language is not English (identified by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Public Affairs) must provide evidence of English language proficiency. The English proficiency requirement may be fulfilled by meeting one of the following:

IELTS: 6.0
TOEIC: 730

The TOEFL, IELTS or TOEIC exams must have been taken within the past two years, with scores submitted directly to UWRF from the testing service. Exchange students are expected to demonstrate English language proficiency. This is usually documented with an acceptable TOEFL score; however, some institutional exchange agreements rely upon faculty recommendation(s) from the home institution.

3. A copy of the biographical data pages of a student's passport (the pages with their picture, name and date of birth) or copy of a government-issued ID should be submitted with the application.  The DS-2019 will be issued using the name on their passport/government ID. The name will also be the one used to create their official University record.

4. A copy of the student's current transcript.

5. Proof of sufficient funds to cover all expenses to study and live in the U.S. for the length of the exchange. To provide evidence of sufficient funds, students are required to provide a completed Certification of Finances Form along with appropriate documentation.  Email International Student Admissions to request the Certification of Finances form that aligns with your exchange program. 

Questions? Contact International Student Admissions.