Fleet Vehicles (AP-04-102)

UW-River Falls Administrative Policy
Policy ID: AP-04-102
Effective: December 8, 2000
Last Revision: December 2014
Review: 1 year

Fleet Vehicles

Maintained by: Facilities Management
Approved by: Chancellor
Next Review Date: December 15, 2015

Printable PDF version


Facilities Management will operate and maintain a fleet of vehicles for the use of UWRF faculty, staff and students who are engaged in the official business of the University. This policy is adopted in order to promote the safe and efficient use of state owned vehicles.


The State of Wisconsin's current version of Fleet Policies and Procedures shall constitute a minimum standard by which the UWRF fleet will be operated.

Procedures to authorize drivers to use UWRF vehicles will be based on UW System Administration's Risk Management Manual, Driver Authorization and Vehicle Use, Part 7 C Vehicle Programs Vehicle Use and Driver Authorization (see 2.3 for web address).

Except as noted below, only authorized persons who are engaged in the official business of the University may drive State vehicles. "Official business" is defined in Part 7 of the Risk Management Manual – Vehicle Use and Driver Authorization, (see Related Documents for web address).

Any person who wishes to use a fleet vehicle must sign a "Vehicle Use Agreement Form" indicating understanding and acknowledgment of applicable fleet policies. This form will be used as part of the authorization process. Approval as an authorized driver validates the signed form was received.

Any person to whom a vehicle is personally assigned must sign a "Personal Use Agreement for Personally Assigned Automobile" form indicating understanding and acknowledgment of certain fleet procedures. A copy of this agreement will be kept on file by Facilities Management.

Authorized student organizations may use fleet vehicles for official business provided that the student organization sponsoring the trip have their student segregated fee funds budgeted as part of the annual Student Senate budgeting process.

  • Authorized student organizations will be permitted to operate 15-passenger vans/minibus within the states of Wisconsin and Minnesota if van certificated.

A State-owned vehicle is provided as a service and a convenience to the user. Fleet Vehicle Operations is not obligated to provide a vehicle for every request. If a vehicle is not available, the individual and/or department is responsible for making alternative travel arrangements.

When a State vehicle is not available for official business, the person requesting a vehicle is issued a non-availability slip which permits the person to be reimbursed for the use of his/her personal vehicle at the full business mileage reimbursement rate per mile. If a person does not qualify for a non-availability slip, he/she is reimbursed at the rate per mile set by the Department of Administration. These reimbursement rates are subject to annual review. The current reimbursement rates will be available on the fleet website. Listed below are the general criteria for issuance of non-availability slips. 

  • If a trip is more than 100 miles round trip and there is no vehicle available, a non-availability slip is issued.
  • If a person has a medical or physical condition requiring a specially equipped vehicle, then a non-availability slip is issued.
  • If a person needs a particular type of vehicle such as a van or a truck and such a vehicle is not available, then a non-availability slip is issued.
  • If a person needs a vehicle for an extended period of time and such use may not maximize overall fleet usage, then a non-availability slip may be issued.
  • If a person wishes to have a family member accompany him/her while on official business and the family member's presence is unrelated to official business, then a State vehicle should not be used, and a non-availability slip should not be issued.
  • If a person intends to take a side trip for personal reasons while on official business, a State vehicle cannot be used; and a non-availability slip should not be issued.
  • If a person is not allowed to use a State vehicle because of a poor driving record, a non-availability slip is not issued.
  • If the trip is less than 100 miles round trip, the person may elect to take his/her personal vehicle; and he/she will be reimbursed at the higher rate without having a non-availability slip issued.
  • A non-availability slip will not be issued to persons whose request is made less than 48 hours before the vehicle is needed and no vehicle is available. Exceptions will be made when the emergency nature of the trip can be verified.

Fleet vehicles may be reserved up to three months ahead by submitting a "Vehicle Request" form to the Fleet Vehicle Coordinator. Requests are scheduled at the beginning of each month based on the best use of fleet vehicles. Thereafter, requests are honored on a first-come, first-served basis. Telephone requests are honored only in exceptional cases.

A minimum charge of 100 miles (50 miles for 15 passenger vans/minibus) will be made under the following circumstances: 

  • When the person fails to show up to use the vehicle.
  • When the person returns the vehicle later than scheduled resulting in a scheduling overlap.
  • When the person drives the vehicles less than 100 miles.
  • When the person cancels with less than 24-hour notice.

Operators of State-owned vehicles are required to make sure that safety belts are worn by all passengers at all times.

Operators of State-owned vehicles are required to follow and obey all traffic laws.

Anyone requesting to drive a 15-passenger van/minibus must be an authorized driver and meet the following van driving criteria, NO EXCEPTIONS: This applies to all owned, rented, or leased 15-passenger vans/minibus while on university business. See UW System Administration's Risk Management Manual, Part 7 Vehicle Use and Driver Authorization, III.B on 12/15 Passenger Van Driving.

  1. Twenty-five (25) years of age or older.*
  2. Completion of a van training program which meets the standards established by DOA/BSRM. Authorization and proof of certification as a van driver must be received by the risk manager, or delegated party, prior to using the van.
  3. Abstinence from the use of drugs or alcohol on the specified driving day.
  4. Absolutely nothing is to be towed by or attached to 2-15 passenger vans/minibus.

When 15-passenger vans/minibus are operated, there must be a passenger who is awake in the passenger seat at all time to keep the driver alert and watch for hazards as they drive.

*Work vehicles are exempt from this requirement. Other exemptions may be granted at the discretion of the campus Risk Management Office.


In the event of an accident, the driver of the vehicle shall seek medical attention if needed by their passengers and/or themselves.

In the event of an accident, the driver must complete the Vehicle Incident Report making sure that their supervisor has signed the Scope of Employment section. This report must be returned to the Risk Management Office as soon as the travel is completed. The form is located inside the vehicle glove box.

*For more information on accident reporting procedures, please refer to State of Wisconsin "Fleet Policies and Procedures", (


The UW-River Falls Chancellor issues this policy in accordance with the Administrative Policy process. The Assistant Chancellor for Business and Finance is responsible for the administration of this policy. Request an exception to this policy by writing to

Sanctions and Appeals Process 

Failure to adhere to the provisions of this policy may result in appropriate disciplinary action as provided under existing procedures applicable to students, faculty, and staff, and/or civil or criminal prosecution.

University Responsibilities

Facilities Management (primary responsibility)
Risk Management

Department/Unit Responsibilities

University Police Office
Department Chair/Director

Related Documents


Please direct questions about this policy to