Alcohol Beverages on Campus (AP-01-303)

UW-River Falls Administrative Policy
Policy ID: AP-01-303
Effective: November 30, 1999
Revision: November 2013
Review: 3 years

Alcohol Beverages on Campus

Maintained by: Student Affairs, Police and Parking
Approved by: Chancellor
Next Review Date: November 2016

Printable PDF version


The purpose of this policy paper is to promulgate regulations and guidelines by which alcohol beverages may be served on the University of Wisconsin-River Falls campus.

  1. The use or possession of alcohol beverages is prohibited on all university premises, except in faculty and staff housing and as permitted by the chief administrative officer, subject to statutory age restrictions. The chief administrative officer may generally permit the use or possession of alcohol beverages by promulgating institutional regulations in consultation with appropriate staff and students, or in specific instances by written permission.
  2. No person may procure, sell, dispense or give away alcohol beverages to any person contrary to the provisions of ch.125, Stats.
  3. In this subsection, "alcohol beverages" means fermented malt beverages and intoxicating liquors containing 0.5% or more of alcohol.
  4. Notwithstanding s. UWS 18.09, institutional regulations developed pursuant to this subsection shall be reported to the President of the University system for review and approval.


The UW-River Falls Chancellor issues this policy in accordance with the Administrative Policy process.
The VCAF is responsible for the administration of this policy. Request an exception to this policy by writing to

Sanctions and Appeals Process

Failure to adhere to the provisions of this policy may result in appropriate disciplinary action as provided under existing procedures applicable to students, faculty, and staff, and/or civil or criminal prosecution.


The University of Wisconsin-River Falls and its food service contractor are the sole providers of alcohol beverages on campus. The University of Wisconsin System is the holder of the "Special Tax Stamp@ which must be displayed whenever alcohol beverages are being dispensed. The University is legally responsible for paying State and County sales tax and recording all sales. A University employee and/or food service contract employee must be present at and supervise all events in which alcohol beverages are served.

Alcohol beverages may not be brought onto campus by private individuals or campus departments/organizations. Consumption of alcohol beverages and possession of any open container of alcohol beverages are prohibited unless specifically permitted by either Regent rule or institutional regulations. The prohibition extends to laboratories and individual offices (student housing units are exempt).

All alcohol beverages will be dispensed at a price that complements the established prices in the local community. There shall be no "open bars," "happy hours," or other modified prices that discount the price of service to promote the consumption of alcohol, unless special conditions exist as approved by the Chancellor.

All alcohol beverages will be served in accordance with statutory limitations of the State of Wisconsin. The University will be responsible for determining the facilities in which alcohol beverages are served, and for the duration for which they shall be served. In all cases, the University will determine guidelines for each event so as not to promote excessive alcohol consumption.

As a general guideline, State dollars cannot be used to purchase alcohol beverages; nor can state employees be reimbursed for the purchase of alcohol beverages.

For all events in which alcohol beverages are available, non-alcohol options such as soft drinks/water/juices must be available.

It is not appropriate to include alcohol beverages in the registration fee of a University- sponsored event unless special conditions exist as interpreted and approved by the Accounts Payable office.
The University will be responsible for providing adequate security and for checking identification at any event in which alcohol is served. The sponsoring organization/ department may be requested to provide additional supervision to ensure that alcohol beverages are not carried onto or out of University facilities.

The University Police Department shall be notified when alcoholic beverages are served at an event.

University Responsibilities

This policy will be administered by the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.

Department/Unit Responsibilities

Deans and Department Chairpersons are responsible to ensure that all University-sponsored events are in accordance with this policy paper when alcohol is served or consumed on University grounds.

Related Documents

The following reference materials are available to supplement this policy paper:


Please direct questions about this policy to