Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) emphasizes
teaching aspects of English in countries where English is not widely used in
Highlights of the TESOL Major
- Students take courses in language acquisition, theory and practice of teaching English as a second or foreign language, pedagogical grammar, linguistics and cultural studies.
- Taiwan Teach Abroad Internship Program (TTAP) - three weeks in July, free flight, room and board free, paid $750 stipend and earn 3 credits.
- Post-graduation, students can choose from 10 different villages/universities in South Korea to teach/work full-time - flights free, great health care, paid vacation, earn $50-70K over 1-2 years and on-site housing.
Skills and Learning Outcomes
As a student in this program, you will learn to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language.
- Understand the structure of the English language.
- Demonstrate an understanding of language variation.
- Gain knowledge of first and second language development.
- Design, implement and assess tools for teaching.
Recent graduates of TESOL are in high demand both in the United States and abroad. About 50% of graduates pursue a career internationally.
Not what you were looking for?
Here are some related programs you may also want to consider: