UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN River Falls
What is readabout.me?
UW-River Falls is now using readabout.me from readMedia to publicize student achievements and activities on campus – like earning an athletic achievement, being named to an academic honor society, making the dean's list or earning a scholarship. This allows students to get credit for the achievements and activities they are involved with on campus, and creates a positive online profile they can use for jobs, internships, and references after graduation.
How does it work?
Departments, faculty members, or student organizations provide University Communications with a brief description of the item they would like to recognize students for along with an Excel spreadsheet listing of students who have earned the accomplishment – like being selected for the cast of a theater production, making the football team, or joining a student organization.
Using readMedia we then create personalized stories about these student accomplishments and award each student with badges (much like Foursquare badges) which are published online on each student’s profile on the readabout.me website. When applicable, announcements are also then sent to each student’s hometown paper for publication directly through readMedia, which greatly streamlines our process for large press releases like Enrollment, Dean’s List, and Graduation.
Click here to watch a brief tutorial.
Why is readabout.me important for students?
• readabout.me helps people who make decisions about internships, grad school, and jobs find the "good stuff" about students, and recognizes their accomplishments with official college "badges" that show that they're authentic.
• A readabout.me profile creates a positive online identity for post-graduation success. Many companies now research applicants online, and some have rejected applicants based on what they found there. A student's readabout.me profile is a way for students to shine online.
• Students who are featured by the college are informed of the announcement through their college e-mail address and encouraged to share their accomplishments with family and friends through social media channels such as Facebook. This reinforces the positive accomplishment and reflects positively on the institution as a whole.
How can you help?
• Submit student accomplishments to Renee Johnson, Marketing Specialist, University Communications, 120 North Hall.
• Use the Excel template below to submit lists of student information accomplishments. Simply save it to your computer, input the required information, and return it to Renee at email@example.com along with brief description of the achievement. (Note: You can add additional columns of information such as student major, year, etc. if you desire.)
Click here to download Excel template.