All students moving rooms or moving out of the residence halls during the academic year must receive approval from the Department of Residence Life. Students who withdraw from UWRF are required to move out of the residence halls within 48 hours withdrawing.
All students must schedule a check out appointment with the appropriate hall staff member. You will need to have scheduled your appointment time/date prior to the day you are wanting to leave to ensure the staff can be there.
The residence life staff member will check to ensure your room is cleaned, furniture returned to the original layout, and catalog any damages. Staff members will not check the room until the student has completed cleaning the room and have moved out all of their belongings.
The following description should be used by students as a guide to follow prior to checking out of their room:
- Remove all personal belongings.
- Return all University property to its original order and location.
- Unloft the bed (Except in Hathorn Center or Ames). Rubber mallets are available at the front desk to help in this process.
- Clean room - this includes the following:
- Walls/Ceilings/Mirrors: Remove all posters, tape, stickers and adhesives and clean marks and adhesive residue off all surfaces.
- Floor: Sweep, vacuum and/or mop the floor. Do not sweep anything into the hallway.
- Door: Remove all stickers/tape from both sides of door and clean off all writing/marks and adhesive residue.
- Windows/Screens: Close and lock windows, and remove all tape, stickers, and adhesives.
- Furniture: Empty all drawers and wipe them out, remove all tape, stickers, and adhesives.
- Micro-fridge: Remove all food.
- Wash all furniture surfaces - chairs, desks, dressers, window sills, etc. There should be no stains, black smudges, tape, or sticky spots left.
- Wastebasket/Recycling Bins: Empty and clean.
This includes, but is not limited to, the room not being ready, resident not checking out correctly, improper arrangement of furniture, loft not being taken down. The administrative fee associated with an improper checkout is $50.