2 Year Residency Requirement

2-Year Residence Hall Requirement

The Department of Residence Life enforces the UW-System Board of Regent's policy requiring first year and sophomore students who are not veterans, married, or living with parents or guardians within the approved commuting distance to live in University residence halls. This requirement does not apply to students who are 21 years of age or older or students who have completed a total of four semesters post high school graduation at UWRF or another campus.

Special Requests for Exemption to the 2-Year Requirement

Special Requests for Exemption to the 2-Year Live On Campus Requirement

If one of the below situations apply to you, please complete the Residency Exemption Request Formdocument, check the appropriate box, and provide all necessary documentation specified on the form. Submit the form and additional information via one of the methods listed on the form.

Those situations eligible to be considered for an exemption are as follows:

  • I am living with my parent(s) or guardian(s) whose home address falls within the approved commuting zip codes (you must submit a Commuter Formdocument)
  • I am married (you must submit a copy of your marriage certificate)
  • I am a veteran or have at least two years of active duty service with the military (you must provide a copy of your DD214 discharge papers)
  • I am a parent (you must submit a copy of the birth certificate(s))
  • I have completed 4 semesters of college at an institution post high school (e-mail reslife@uwrf.edumail to let us know)
  • Medical/Disability Accommodation Request (you must contact Ability Services. That office will work with you in gathering necessary documentation. Once they have received that paperwork we will consult with them regarding your request)
  • Financial circumstances (please be aware that you must apply for Financial Aid in order for us to consider this)
  • Other: Provide details in the request form

Once your application is received it will be reviewed by a staff member in the Department of Residence Life and you will be notified via your UWRF e-mail account regarding the outcome of your request.

Violations of the 2-Year Live On Campus Requirement

Violations of the 2-Year Live On Campus Requirement

You will receive an e-mail from Residence Life indicating that the residence hall charges will be added to your student account.