One extremely important safety tip to note is never view/visit a house or apartment alone. Always bring a friend or someone with you.
- Would you feel comfortable living there, daytime or nighttime?
- Would you feel comfortable with the landlord?
- Are all the windows in good condition and lockable?
- Are there any smoke/carbon monoxide detectors?
- If the apartment has a security system, is it working?
- Is there more than one fire exit from the unit?
- Is the entrance well lit? Is your view blocked by shrubs?
- Who has access to the house key, and when were the locks last changed?