The University of Wisconsin-River Falls has an array of science coursework for students considering a Pre-medical track. Students work closely with engaged, experienced faculty and have access to modern facilities and hands-on learning.
To meet medical school course requirements and prepare for the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) it is suggested that you follow a curriculum similar to that outlined below:
- Chemistry 121, 122 (General Chemistry I and II and Lab I and II)
- English 100, 200 (Freshman English)
- Math 146, 147 (College Algebra and College Algebra and Trig)
- Biology 150 (General Biology) and, if possible, Biology 230 (General Zoology)
- Work on General Education requirements
- Chemistry 231, 232, 236, 237 (Organic Chemistry I and II and Lab I and II)
- Physics 151, 152, 156, 157 (General Physics and Lab)
- Biology 240 (Cell and Molecular Biology)
- Continue on General Education requirements such as English Literature and Speech.
- (Two semesters of English Literature are required for the University of Minnesota)
- Chemistry 361 (Biochemistry I)
- Biology 341, 342 (Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II), Biology 350 (Genetics and Evolution), and Biology 324 (Microbiology)
- Math 166 (Calculus I); more calculus may be taken but one semester is the minimum
- Continue General Education requirements and work on Liberal Arts electives.
- (One upper division course each of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences is needed for UMD)
- Prepare to take the MCAT during spring (April) of the Junior year or, alternatively, during summer (August) between the Junior and Senior year. See details below.
- Complete college and major/minor requirements.
- Complete and send AMCAS application (Be sure to check for the specific application deadline for the school to which you are applying.)
- The following courses are highly recommended:
- Biology 353 (Animal Histology)
- Chemistry 362 (Biochemistry II)
- The following courses are recommended:
- Chemistry 251, 256 (Analytical Chemistry and Lab)
- Chemistry 340 (Physical Chemistry of Biological Systems)