UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN River Falls
Department of Residence Life
The University of Wisconsin-River Falls, a member of the University of Wisconsin System, is located 30 miles from the Twin Cities of Minneapolis-St. Paul in scenic west central Wisconsin. Year around arts, cultural and recreational events are easily accessible. UWRF’s 6,500 undergraduate and graduate students pursue degrees in four colleges: Arts and Sciences; Education and Professional Studies; Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Science; and Business and Economics. The University provides an excellent environment for learning, emphasizing the importance of faculty-student interaction in classrooms, laboratories, academic advising and co-curricular activities. A favorable student-faculty ratio affords opportunity for meaningful interchange between faculty and students. Strong interests in teaching, research and community service are highly valued.
The Position: The University of Wisconsin-River Falls seeks an innovative and service oriented leader to serve as the Director of Residence Life. Reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, the Director is responsible for fostering a student living environment that supports and complements the mission of the university.
Specific Responsibilities: The director has responsibility for supervision of personnel, management of fiscal resources, facility operations and use, project management, problem solving, program development, administration of room assignments, review, development and implementation of policies impacting the on-campus living and learning community. The director must also assure that students are involved in shared student governance by maintaining positive working relationships and active involvement with hall governance.
* Master’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution
* Minimum of seven years of progressive responsible full-time experience in higher education Residence Life department(s) in all of the following areas: facilities operations and management, fiscal management, direct supervision of staff, and community
* Strong organizational and communication skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with a wide variety of individuals, including staff, graduate students, undergraduate students and team members
* Demonstrated experience in housing and university disciplinary procedures and crisis management
* Demonstrated experience in long and short range planning and project management
* Demonstrated experience in assessment
* Demonstrated experience in occupancy assignment and management
* Demonstrated experience in building strong residential communities with diverse constituencies
* Demonstrated experience working with university governance
* Demonstrated experience in or commitment to scholarly or professional activity
* Experience collaborating with dining services, conference services, university police, facilities, and financial services
Experience with and understanding of the three functional levels related to the Association of College and University Housing Officers-International Core Competencies; Direct Service, Management, Strategy and Policy
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Knowledge of Residence Life Management Software (StarRez)
* Knowledge of Student Conduct Management Software (Maxient)
* Knowledge of Community Assessment Software (EBI)
To Apply: Online applications are required at: https://jobs.uwrf.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/
Submit a resume, letter of interest specifying qualifications; and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least three references who can specifically comment upon your experience, and professional preparation.
Inquiries should be addressed to:
Dr. Alice Reilly-Myklebust
Director Student Health and Counseling Services
The names of all nominees and applicants who have not requested confidentiality in writing, and identities of all finalists must be released upon request. A criminal background check will be completed on final candidates.
Deadline to Apply: Initial review of applications will begin upon receipt. For full consideration, applicants should submit all required materials by August 30, 2013.
The University is committed to creating an educational community which enhances student awareness and appreciation of diverse ethnicities and cultures and which actively supports tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each person without regard to economic status, ethnic background, political views, sexual orientation, or other personal characteristics or beliefs. Awareness of and sensitivity to diverse ethnic and cultural heritages are especially sought in applicants.
UW - River Falls is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer subject to all state and federal regulations pertaining to non-discrimination based upon sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, religion, disability, marital status, age, arrest and/or conviction record, veteran status, and membership in the national guard, state defense force, or any other reserve component of the military forces of the United States or the State of Wisconsin. All persons, especially women, persons of color, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Employment is subject to federal laws that require verification of your identity and legal right to work in the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
For a copy of UW-River Falls campus safety information see http://www.uwrf.edu/public-safety/resources/crime_report.pdf or call Public Safety at (715) 425-3133 for a paper copy. This material includes crime statistics (Annual Security Report) and information on crime prevention, sexual assault and drug/alcohol issues.