Final Steps to Graduate

Completing your graduate degree or certificate is a tremendous achievement. While some programs have additional expectations, here are the general requirements you will need to meet to complete your graduate program at UW-River Falls.

Summary of Graduation Requirements

  1. Complete a minimum of 30 credits
  2. Finish in Seven Years
  3. Earn a “B” Average
  4. Pass Your Exams
  5. Request Graduation

Completion of Course Requirements

General course requirements for your program of study are described in the Catalog web pages for your program. However, your individual degree plan that you create with your adviser will also be an important tool to track your progress in completing your degree. Your degree plan is on file in the Registrar's Office.

See also UWRF Grading System and Credits Applied to Your Plan.

Back to top

Conducting Your Research

If your degree plan includes a thesis (Plan A) or research paper (Plan B), you should plan to meet with your adviser to review your topic and research plan. 

Before beginning your research, you should review the following university policies to determine if your research protocol requires review.

Forms used to submit your research protocol for review are available at the appropriate web site.

Students should also be familiar with the university's policy on use of copyrighted materials and make a good faith effort to obtain permission from the copyright owner. More information on copyright is available through the Library web site.

Plan A theses and Plan B research papers must adhere to guidelines for mandatory submission to MINDS.

Back to top

Graduate Examinations and Committee Review

A graduate committee will evaluate your thesis or paper, conduct your oral comprehensive exam, or evaluate your written exam. The committee includes your adviser and two faculty, one of whom will be from your program area. Your adviser or the graduate program director will work with you to appoint the members of your committee and then provide this information to the Graduate Studies office.

For students planning a thesis or research paper, committee members are selected when you have filed your degree plan and begin research. Students with a comprehensive exam, which is usually oral, will work with their adviser to determine when the committee should be formed.

You will need to schedule a two-hour meeting with your graduate committee at least two weeks before your examination and not later than four weeks before the end of your last term. For an oral exam to be held in the summer, you must make arrangements during the spring semester. See Scheduling Exams.

If you are in a program requiring a written comprehensive examination, you must make arrangements with your department to take the exams.

All Plan A (thesis) candidates will take an oral examination about their thesis. This may be in addition to a written comprehensive examination, if required by your department. All Plan B (research paper) or Plan C (additional courses) candidates will take a written and/or oral examination based on specified program requirements. You are responsible for meeting with all members of your graduate committee before the examination to discuss how to prepare for the written and/or oral examinations. Check your academic plan for your program requirements.

Back to top

Additional Requirements for Teaching Licensure

If your graduate program of study includes either an initial teaching licensure or additional teaching certifications, you will have additional requirements to complete your program. The following links to the College of Education and Professional Studies will provide additional information on these requirements. 

For more information, see:

Student Teaching

Teacher Certification Portfolio

Teacher Education Department

Back to top

Apply For Graduation

For instructions on when and how to apply for graduation, see Applying for Graduation on the Graduate Procedures page.

Academic and Campus Services

Additional links are provided on the UWRF Home page for Current Students.

Counseling Services


Online Learning Help


   Campus Parking Mapdocument

   Request A Permitmail


Tutoring Services

Contact Us

Graduate Studies
M-F, 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
104 North Hall