UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN River Falls
The University of Wisconsin-River Falls is deeply committed to supporting a learning and living environment in which all students, faculty, staff, and community members are welcomed and respected. This commitment is reflected in one of our university's core values:
INCLUSIVENESS. We commit to a community of mutual respect, professional behavior, academic freedom and appreciation of individual differences and rich cultural diversity.
The Inclusive Excellence Goals for UW-River Falls target the year 2020 to align with the institution's strategic objectives. The guiding vision for these goals is supported by the long-term aspirations at the heart of the University's strategic plan, Pathway to Distinction.
These goals were submitted to UW System on August 8, 2014 as part of their ongoing strategy to ensure system-wide commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
GOAL #1 - Increase the overall headcount of under-represented minority (URM)* students at UW-River Falls by 20% from 437 to 525 by the fall of 2020
Under-represented minority (URM) students include all who have indicated
belonging to the following racial or ethnic groups: African American, American
Indian, Hispanic/Latino(a), or Southeast Asian alone or in combination with
- Pathways Program
- Opportunity Scholarships
- Pre-College Initiatives
- Upward Bound Program
GOAL #2- Decrease the 1st to 2nd year retention rate equity gap between all and URM* first-time first-year students at UW-River Falls by ten percent by the fall of 2020 (three year average).
retention rate at UWRF has fluctuated significantly, thus an average baseline
of 52% has been established, to be compared to an average baseline retention
rate for all students of 71%. Thus, we seek to decrease the "equity gap" from 19% to 9%. For example, if overall retention rate in 2020 was 76%, the URM retention goal would be 67%.
*= Under-represented minority (URM) students include all who have indicated belonging to the following racial or ethnic groups: African American, American Indian, Hispanic/Latino(a), or Southeast Asian alone or in combination with other races/ethnicities.
- McNair Scholars/SSS program
- Multicultural Community Center related programs and services
- Lawton Undergraduate Minority Retention Grant (LUMRG)
- Identity-based student clubs & organizations
- Diversity & Inclusivity Committee (Faculty Senate)
GOAL #3- Increase the percentage of the UW-River Falls workforce composed of faculty and staff of color to 8% by 2020
Ways we are supporting pursuit of Goal #3:
for Diversity and Inclusivity serving within Human Resources
- Workforce training on recruitment
- Campus climate and leadership development
- New faculty and staff orientation
- Affirmative Action Planning and Compliance
- Diversity & Inclusivity Committee and Affirmative Action Committee (Faculty Senate)
- Expand recruitment avenues by utilizing publications in Twin Cities communities of color
- Frequent communication with Multicultural/Disadvantaged (MD) Coordinators in UW system about opportunities