Broad Field Social Studies Major—History Emphasis
134 Total Credit Hours
History Emphasis Requirements: 33 credit hours
- History core: three courses
HIST 102 History of the Modern World, 1500-Present
HIST 215 United States History to 1865
HIST 216 U.S. History from 1865
- U.S. history (300-level or above): two courses
- World history (300-level or above): two courses
- Environmental history: HIST 365 American Environmental History
- History elective (300-level or above): one course
- Research and historiography: HIST 485 History Seminar
Social Studies Requirements: 24 credit hours
- Social Studies core - 3 cr.
BFSS 200 Introduction to Social Science for Teachers
- Social science distribution courses (non-history) - 12 cr.
SOCI 100 Introduction to Sociology
POLS 230 Introduction to Political Philosophy and Ideology or POLS 114 American Government and Politics
POLS 260 Introduction to International Relations (g)
ECON 201 Principles of Microeconomics or ECON 202 Principles of Macroeconomics
- Social Science electives - 9 cr. (Students interested in teaching in Wisconsin should take all three elective courses from the same social science discipline: economics, political science, geography, psychology or sociology.)
Psychology: PSYC 201 Behavioral Statistics, PSYC 216 Research Methods, and another PSYCH course of your choice
Geography: GEOG 120 Human Geography and two other GEOG courses at the 200 or 300 level
Economics: ECON 201 Principles of Microeconomics, ECON 202 Principles of Macroeconomics and ECON 340 Contemporary International Trade
Education Requirements: 43 credit hours
- Education - 18 cr.
TED 155 Intro to Tech Integration and the Reflective Multimedia
TED 212 Educational Psychology: Middle & Secondary Education
TED 414 Development of the Transcescent
TED 420 School & Society
SPED 330 Introduction to Special Education
- Social Studies Methods Block - 13 cr. (You should take "block" classes in the fall semester of your senior year.)
TED 433 Techniques in Social Studies
TED 463 Content Area Literacy in Middle & Secondary School Social Science
TED 466 Management Strategies for the Secondary Social Science Classroom
BFSS 400 Curriculum Development for Social Studies
- Student teaching - 12 cr.
TED 473 Student Teaching: Middle School / TED 474 Student Teaching: Secondary Education
General Education and University Requirements: 40 credit hours
General Education Requirements:
A. GOAL 1 Communication - 9 cr.
ENGL 100 Academic Reading/Writing
COMS 101 Fundamentals of Oral Communication
ENGL 200 Investigating Ideas: Reading, Writing, and the Disciplines
B. GOAL 2 - 12 cr.
- Social and behavioral sciences - 6 cr:HIST 101 Origins of Civilization and PSYC 101 General Psychology
- Humanities and fine arts - 6 cr:ART 100 Intro to Visual Art or MUS 100 Understanding Music or DANC 100 Dance Appreciation (3 cr.); andENGL105 Literature and Human Experience or ENGL 106 Literature: Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama or ENGL 107 Heroes in Literature (3 cr.)
C. GOAL 3 Math and science - 9 cr.
MATH 126 Activities in Math
BIOL 100 Introduction to Biology
GEOG 110 Physical Environment: Patterns & Systems
D. GOAL 5 Individual responsibility to self, society, world - 4 cr.
Individual responsibility to self, society, world: PE 108 Health and Fitness for Life
Ethical citizenship (EC) - choose one course from this complete list
A. American Cultural Diversity (ACD) - 3 cr: TED 252 (3 cr.)
B. Global Perspectives (GP) - 3 cr: choose from: HIST 201 Intro. to Asian Civilization, HIST 202 Intro. to Latin American Civilizations, HIST 203 The Mediterranean: A Survey, or HIST 209 Intro. to African History
Remember to periodically review your Degree Audit Report (DAR) in eSIS!