Frequently Asked Questions

Program Requirements and General Questions

What are the application deadlines?

Program applications must be submitted by October 1 for Spring admission and February 1 for Fall admission. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.

What type of degree will I have upon successful completion of the Counseling Program?

You will earn a Masters of Science in Education (M.S.E.) degree. Completion of all program requirements include passing your coursework, comprehensive examination, practicum, and the Praxis Professional School Counselor licensing exam.

How many credits will I need to graduate?

Students starting the program in or after Fall 2013 will need 48 credit hours to graduate.

How many credits are considered full-time?

Full time attendance at the graduate level is considered 9 credits or more, usually the equivalent of 3 classes. It is not recommended that students take more than 9 credit hours per semester.

Will I be required to take the Praxis exam? If so, when can I take it?

Yes. Students will need to pass the Praxis Professional School Counselor exam in order to gain licensure as a K-12 school counselor. We recommend you wait to take the exam until all core coursework is completed AND you have started internship. Students should register for their preferred test date well in advance. 

Who will be my academic adviser?

Your academic adviser is assigned to you when you are admitted into the program. The name and contact information for your adviser is on your letter of acceptance.

What are my parking options?

Please visit the parking services website for more information.

Where do I buy my textbooks?

Textbooks can be purchased from the Falcon Shoplink in the University Center. Some textbooks are also on reserve at the library.

Do I need to have a teaching license to become a school counselor?


Are there additional requirements that I will need to complete if I'm not already a licensed teacher?

There are no additional requirements for students without a teaching license. Talk with your adviser about which electives you will need to take in order to fulfill program requirements.

Class Information

In what order should I take my classes?

Students will meet with their advisers to complete a customized Tentative Degree Plan (TDP) which will outline when classes should be taken. TDPs must be completed within the first semester of coursework. COUN 610: Introduction to School Counseling is a prerequisite to all core coursework and must be taken during your first semester in the program.

When are courses typically offered?

Courses are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday evenings, usually from 4:30-7:15pm during Fall and Spring semesters. Summer and J-Term courses follow a different schedule, depending on the course. Specific course offerings vary depending on the semester.

Can I take classes part-time?

Yes. One benefit of our program is how it allows students to choose their own pace. The program must be completed within 7 years, so students can and do take classes part-time. We recommend students take no more than 9 credits (full time) in any semester. Talk with your adviser to map out your Tentative Degree Plan (TDP).

Are there online class options?

Occasionally classes are offered totally online, or in a hybrid format (part online, part in-person). Due to the nature of counseling being a person-oriented, interactive profession, we prefer in-person classes to facilitate optimal learning and skill development.

How do I register for classes?

Registration is done by logging into eSISdocument using your student ID and password. Once logged on, you click on "enroll" from your homepage and select the correct semester. From there, select the department that offers your desired course. A list of courses will appear and you can choose the course you wish to take.

Can I take classes without being admitted to the program?

Yes. Students may take one 3-credit course per semester (up to 9 total credits) without being officially admitted to the program. Speak with the Department or Program Chair to find out more.

Field Experiences

When do I begin my Practicum experience?

Practicum is completed during the 2nd or 3rd semester in the program and after COUN 610. Talk with your adviser about when you should take Practicum.

When do I begin my Internship experience?

Internship may be completed after 1) successfully passing all core counseling courses, 2) passing the comprehensive examination, and 3) attending a mandatory Pre-Internship Meeting. Students may complete the three internships in one, two, or three semesters. Talk with your adviser about your TDP.

Will I be placed at a school for Practicum/Internship?

No. Students must find their own field placement sites, within 2 hours of UWRF. The Counseling Program Practicum and Internship Coordinators assist you in this process by providing consultation and many resources and contacts. Attending the mandatory Pre-Practicum and Pre-Internship meetings will provide the necessary information to allow you to find placement sites.

Paying for Graduate School

Are there scholarships that I can apply for?

UWRF offers several scholarships for Counseling Program students. Also, professional organizations like the Wisconsin School Counselor Association (WSCA)link offer scholarships for graduate students. Check out the Minnesota School Counselors Association (MSCA)link or the American School Counseling Association (ASCA)link for other options.

Does the program offer graduate assistantships?

Yes. Graduate Assistant positions are available to students. They require 15 hours of work per week, involving program needs like data entry and research. Openings are posted on the counseling listserve and on facebooklink.

How can I apply for financial aid?

Visit the UWRF Financial Aid site for more information. Generally, you will need to complete a FAFSAlink.

Contact Us

231 Wyman Education Building