Wyman Education Building 

Teacher Licensing

Licensing - General Information

Carefully read all directions for the specific license area you are applying for before beginning the application process.  If you have specific questions about completing the application please contact Mr. Michael Martinmail

Michael Martin Certification Officermail

University of Wisconsin-River Fall
College of Education and Professional Studies
410 S. 3rd Street
River Falls, WI 54022

Useful Links

Click here to find certification information for all 50 states!link

Initial Teaching / Pupil Services


The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction no longer accepts paper applications for Wisconsin Educator Licenses.

Educators apply for Wisconsin Initial Licenses and Renewal Licenses in teaching, pupil services, administrator, and other license categories using the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system. ELO allows educators to provide the information, supporting materials, and payment needed for DPI to process their license applications. The system streamlines the application process and allows the applicant to manage their own licensing information, including printing a copy of their license certificate and renewing their licenses when applicable.

elo-250w_0Educator Licensing Online - (ELO) System.

  • If you completed your Wisconsin preparation program  before 9/1/2004, please follow the directions at
  • If you completed your program before 12/31/2013. Please complete the form at the bottom of the page to request your information be submitted to DPI.
Teacher Licensing
Please review all directions carefully before beginning your application.

Before you begin your license application, River Falls is required to submit your license information to DPI.  If you are a current student this will be competed once you finish all requirements in your program.  Past students if you graduated before 12/31/2013, please complete the form at the bottom of this page to request your infomation be uploaded to ELO. 

Pupil Services

First-time request for a pupil services license or for adding a new pupil services position to existing pupil services license(P001-1020)

  • Instructions -
  • Special Note for School Psychology Candidates - If you are applying for your Wisconsin license to begin your internship, please complete the web form below.  On ELO make sure to choose the following when competing the application: DO NOT APPLY FOR AN EMERGENCY LICENSE OR PERMIT!
    • School Psychology - Nonrenewable (61)
  • Only School Psychology candidates who have fully completed the Ed.S. program should select "School Psychologist (62)

Tips for completing your application

  • Read all directions carefully before beginning the online application
  • Please watch this video tutorial about MN licensing -
  • You only need to submit the MN verification of program completion to me to complete.  I will return this to you to submit with the rest of the required materials.
  • Official transcripts can be ordered through the Registrars office online for $8.00.  If you rush order them or pick them up in person there will be an additional $8.00 fee. -
  • Minnesota requires all supplemental materials to be submitted in a single packet
  • Make a copy for the verification for your records
  • You can e-mail me the verification form as a .pdf attachment.  I will return it to you through the US Postal Service
  • With your verification we will include a letter which will provide Minnesota with your Praxis I® testing information.  DO NOT OPEN THIS LETTER!  My signature will be across the envelope to show I sealed it.

Minnesota Licensing Links

Questions about Testing and Minnesota

  • Minnesota will not accept any Praxis I® exams completed after 9/1/2010
  • Minnesota will only accept Praxis I® exams they required previously until 9/1/2013  After that date you will need to complete the MTLE testing requirements
  • Minnesota will only accept an original score report or a sealed letter from UWRF sharing your test results. 


Principal, Director of Instruction & Reading Specialist License Requests


Starting December 1 2013, the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction will no longer accept paper applications of Wisconsin Educator Licenses.

Beginning January 15, 20114 all Wisconsin Educator Licenses will be issued electronically using the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) System.

Please lick here: for important Educator Licensing Updates!


  • Submit the Verification of Program Completion document to the Certification Officer listed below.
  • Your completed verification form will be returned to you for submission to the Minnesota Department of Education with the rest of your application.
  • Please note the State of Minnesota currently does not have a Reading Specialist License so please indicate in area #3 you are applying for an additional teaching license as a reading teacher.

Contact Us

Education Preparation Program
203 Wyman Education Building
Phone: 715-425-3774
Fax: 715-425-0622
Facebook IconTwitter Icon