The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction no longer accepts paper applications for Wisconsin Educator Licenses.
Educators apply for Wisconsin Initial Licenses and Renewal Licenses in teaching, pupil services, administrator, and other license categories using the Educator Licensing Online (ELO) system. ELO allows educators to provide the information, supporting materials, and payment needed for DPI to process their license applications. The system streamlines the application process and allows the applicant to manage their own licensing information, including printing a copy of their license certificate and renewing their licenses when applicable.
Educator Licensing Online - (ELO) System. https://elo.wieducatorlicensing.org/
- If you completed your Wisconsin preparation program before 9/1/2004, please follow the directions at http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/elo-1031-tips.
- If you completed your program before 12/31/2013. Please complete the form at the bottom of the page to request your information be submitted to DPI.
Before you begin your license application, River Falls is required to submit your license information to DPI. If you are a current student this will be competed once you finish all requirements in your program. Past students if you graduated before 12/31/2013, please complete the form at the bottom of this page to request your infomation be uploaded to ELO.
- First-time request for a teacher license or for adding a new subject/level to existing teaching license(T001-1020) - http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/elo-initial-wi-teacher-tips
- ELO Frequently Asked Questions - http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/elo-faqs
First-time request for a pupil services license or for adding a new pupil services position to existing pupil services license(P001-1020)
- Instructions - http://tepdl.dpi.wi.gov/licensing/elo-initial-wi-pupil-services-tips
- Special Note for School Psychology Candidates - If you are applying for your Wisconsin license to begin your internship, please complete the web form below. On ELO make sure to choose the following when competing the application: DO NOT APPLY FOR AN EMERGENCY LICENSE OR PERMIT!
- School Psychology - Nonrenewable (61)
- Only School Psychology candidates who have fully completed the Ed.S. program should select "School Psychologist (62)
Tips for completing your application
- Read all directions carefully before beginning the online application
- Please watch this video tutorial about MN licensing -
- You only need to submit the MN verification of program completion to me to complete. I will return this to you to submit with the rest of the required materials.
- Official transcripts can be ordered through the Registrars office online for $8.00. If you rush order them or pick them up in person there will be an additional $8.00 fee. - http://www.uwrf.edu/Registrar/Transcripts/OrderOnline.cfm
- Minnesota requires all supplemental materials to be submitted in a single packet
- Make a copy for the verification for your records
- You can e-mail me the verification form as a .pdf attachment. I will return it to you through the US Postal Service
- With your verification we will include a letter which will provide Minnesota with your Praxis I® testing information. DO NOT OPEN THIS LETTER! My signature will be across the envelope to show I sealed it.
Minnesota Licensing Links
- http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/EdExc/Licen/index.html This is a comprehensive site on the Minnesota Department of Education's Web Site
- Minnesota online licensing system - http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/SchSup/DataSubLogin/index.html
- Out of State Applicant Guide - http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/EdExc/Licen/AppOutStateCountry/index.html
- Minnesota Teacher Licensing Exam (MTLE)- http://www.mtle.nesinc.com/Home.aspx
- Information Regarding Minnesota teacher testing requirements - http://education.state.mn.us/mdeprod/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dDocName=005405&RevisionSelectionMethod=latestReleased&Rendition=primary
Questions about Testing and Minnesota
- Minnesota will not accept any Praxis I® exams completed after 9/1/2010
- Minnesota will only accept Praxis I® exams they required previously until 9/1/2013 After that date you will need to complete the MTLE testing requirements
- Minnesota will only accept an original score report or a sealed letter from UWRF sharing your test results.