Requirement for Mandatory Housing (AP-01-302)

UW-River Falls Administrative Policy
Policy ID: AP-01-302
Effective: November 2, 1998
Revision: November 2011
Review: 3 years

Requirement for Mandatory Housing

Maintained by: Provost
Approved by: Chancellor
Next Review Date: November 2014

Printable PDF versiondocument


  1. It is the goal of the University of Wisconsin-River Falls to provide a residence hall experience that will complement the academic and social growth of our students.
  2. The University strives to operate the residence halls in an efficient and solvent manner that will ensure financial resources to provide for debt service payments and maintenance to the buildings and equipment.
  3. It is the goal of the University to provide a stable occupancy rate in the residence halls in order to maintain a competitive room rate and ensuring the upkeep of the buildings and living environment for the residents.


The UW-River Falls Chancellor issues this policy in accordance with the Administrative Policy process.
The VCAF is responsible for the administration of this policy. Request an exception to this policy by writing to administrative-policy@uwrf.edumail.

Sanctions and Appeals Process

Failure to adhere to the provisions of this policy may result in appropriate disciplinary action as provided under existing procedures applicable to students, faculty, and staff, and/or civil or criminal prosecution.

University Responsibilities

  1. All freshmen and sophomore students attending the University are required to live on campus. Exemptions may be granted as follows:
    a. Bonafide Junior/Senior Status (60 credits or more)
    b. Veterans or Military Service
    c. Married and/or with Legally Dependent Children
    d. Commuter from Home of Parent or Guardian (See 2)
    e. Independent Student Status
    f. Resided within University-approved residence hall(s) for at least four semesters
    g. Completion of at least four semesters of full-time course study at another institution of higher education or UW-River Falls
    h. Work experience requiring a live-in situation
    i. Limited Credit Student

    For complete details of each exemption listed above, please reference the “Housing and Food Service Contract” booklet.

  2. Only those students who have graduated from or whose parent(s) or guardian(s) live within the following school districts are eligible to commute:
    a. Baldwin-Woodville
    b. Ellsworth
    c. Elmwood
    d. Glenwood City
    e. Good Shepherd Christian Academy
    f. Hudson
    g. New Richmond
    h. Plum City
    i. Prescott
    j. River Falls
    k. Somerset
    l. Spring Valley
    m. St. Croix Central
    a. Central
    b. Como Park
    c. Cottage Grove-Park
    d. Cretin-Derham Hall
    e. Harding
    f. Hastings
    g. Highland Park
    h. Hill-Murray
    i. Hugo
    j. Humboldt
    k. Johnson
    l. Mahtomedi
    m. Maplewood
    n. North St. Paul
    o. Red Wing
    p. Roseville
    q. Sibley
    r. So. St. Paul
    s. St. Agnes
    t. St. Croix Lutheran
    u. St. Thomas
    v. Stillwater
    w. Tartan
    x. White Bear Lake
    y. Woodbury

Any student commuting from the home of their parent(s) or guardian(s) must have a notarized Commuter Information Card on file with the Department of Residential Services.


The Board of Regents’ Resolution dated May 5, 1972, states that for all students under the age of twenty-one (21): 

“Those freshman and sophomore students who are not veterans, married or living with parents or guardian shall be required to live in a University-operated residence hall when such accommodations are available.”


Please direct questions about this policy to administrative-policy@uwrf.edumail.