Animal Science is an applied science that prepares students for all aspects of farm animal production including feeding, breeding, health, and management as well as the processing of food and fiber products derived from animals. The meat animal emphasis focuses on the production of beef cattle, swine, and sheep.
In addition, options create a more solid foundation for your designated career path:
- Management Option: Emphasizes coursework in agricultural economics and is excellent preparation for a career in agri-business.
- Science Option: Fulfills the requirements for pre-veterinary medicine or graduate school.
- Minor Option: As an alternative to the Management or Science option, students can pair their major with an academic minor (i.e. minor in Ag Business or Modern Languages) to develop a more in-depth understanding of a second area of interest.
Our students acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to manage livestock enterprises, pursue a career with a business or organization that supports the industry including government regulatory agencies, or continue their education in veterinary or graduate school.
Students graduating with a Meat Animal emphasis have obtained a variety of entry-level jobs, including:
- Agricultural Journalist
- Agricultural Loan Officer
- Animal Health Product Distributor
- Artificial Breeding Distributor/Technician
- Breed Association Representative
- Custom Operator/Specialist
- Feedlot Manager
- Food and Drug Inspector
- Herd Manager
- Livestock Buyer
- Meat Inspector
- Nutrition Consultant
- Pharmaceutical Sales
- Public Relations Specialist
- Quality Control Supervisor
- Production Line Supervisor
- Research Assistant
Our graduates have been employed by a variety of organizations, such as:
- Iowa Select
- Jennie O
- Gold n’ Plump
- Land O’Lakes Purina Feed Division
- Wisconsin Dept. of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection
- Covance, Inc.
- JBS Swift
- Winfield Solutions
- A variety of pharmaceutical companies